What do I eat?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Would like some ideas for lunch & dinner.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Lunch....avocado, fish, salads.... leafy, tomatoes, cucumber etc., yoghurt, fruit, nuts, egg, some kind of bread or roll, prunes, cheese, jelly, baked beans

Dinner...soups or stews loaded with vegetables and using bones as part of the ingredients, herbs, grass fed meats, fish, vegetables especially leafy greens, egg, cheese, yoghurt, fruit

In our soups we have pearl barley. We use chicken or chops that incorporate bones.

I have dairy and bread like milk in my tea or a sandwich for lunch.

Just a start for you.....

• Posted

Hello Kathleen and Sue,  the trouble is with a lot of the fruits the sugar consumption goes up.  Recently bought prunes and was horrified to see the sugar content, same with dried goji berries.  And sugar is bad for bones, so now I try to reduce my sugar consumption as well as having reduced coffee consumption drastically.  I also eat nuts and seeds and veggies in all forms.  Can't tolerate milk or yoghurts...

• Posted

Thanks Stefania!  Do you buy fresh or frozen vegetables?
    • Posted

Hi Sue, I usually buy fresh except for frozen peas.  Luckily I have a large garden and polytunnel where I try and grow as much as possible without a trace of pesticides or herbicides. S
    • Posted

Lollies, cakes and biscuits are full of sugar and are also empty calories. Fruit contains natural sugars filled with vitamins and aids in body regulation. I am a diabetic and I have fruit. I also have Crohns and need fruit to keep me regular. Two pieces of fruit per day is part of a balanced diet.

Honey is similar. A teaspoon of honey on your porridge is preferable to processed sugar.

• Posted

Some fruits are best avoided because of the way we process the sugars, even the natural sugars. But, if you dont have diabeties or you are not too concerened about the effect on your teeth or even weight gain, you can eat lots of fruit. For example, fruit juice from a few oranges will give you a big jump in your glucose levels, but if you were to eat the same oranges the fibre contained, that you also consume, slows down the rate the sugar enters your blood. Therefore the oranges are better. Grapes are bad and dried fruits are worse, but even milk contains sugars. Vegetables are usually better because they contain less sugar and more fibre. Unfortunately, it is a bit confusing
    • Posted

Munching on an apple for example has many benefits as the time it takes to eat the apple allows for slow absorption of vitamins, fructose and fibre. I don't have any trouble with fruit as far as my diabetes is concerned. I have 20 grapes, a banana or watermelon, none impact my diabetes but having lollies or cakes or biscuits sure does lol. I try to make sure I have two pieces of fruit per day.

We buy a jam that contains pear to replace the processed sugar. This is not an everyday occurrence though! Prunes also do not affect my sugar levels. 

I count calories and use natural foods to get the best ingredients I can to achieve a balanced diet. Dairy is also very good for diabetics because it is low GI as well. 

If I avoid processed and foods with hidden sugar I am fine!

• Posted

I presume you are wanting to go the less processed food route. I did this and had the same question at first because I was also cutting out carbs and sugar. So go to the veggie section of the store and get kale, Chinese or napa cabbage, broccoli and anything else that catches your eye. Then look up how to cook it and add a piece of chicken or salmon and you can create a really tasty highly nutritious meal.  It can really get fun.
  • Posted

Grapes contain copper, manganese and much more. Fruit and vegetables are great bone helpers. Google each one to see how they aid bone health. 
    • Posted

Grapes are fine for most people but Diabetes UK recommend only 5 grapes a day. Watch the baked beans for sugar. They vary enormously in sugar but I have no knowledge of them being good for bones or bad for bones. I avoid all processed sugars except on Sundays when I eat a whole bar of chocolate. Love it!!!! I still maintain, a good balanced diet is best. Most things in moderation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.