What do my colonoscopy results mean?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I just had a colonoscopy on wednesday and had 16 biopsies taken. the nurse said it would take about 6 weeks for the results of them but I received a brief report of how my colonoscopy went when I was leaving. 

It found mild erythema and small ulcers in sigmoid colon through to caecum and small ulcers in the terminal ileum along with ileitis. 

I got the colonoscopy after suffering really bad stomach pains, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, weight loss and mouth ulcers! I also was found to be deficient in B12 and folic acid 

Can anyone help??? i’m anxious waiting 6 weeks for the results

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zoe

Sorry to hear about all your problems, and now having to wait anxiously for biopsy results, sounds like you've been having a real hard time of it lately.

I'm not sure what help you need, but from reading your post it seems you could well be diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. As you've had a history of mouth ulcers and deficient in B12 and folic acid, as well as small ulcers being found in your sigmoid colon (the latter part of your colon that then leads to your rectum and anus) and in your terminal ileum (the latter part of your small bowel that leads to the start of your colon) with ileitis, it sounds like a diagnosis of Crohn's Disease will be likely. If the biopsies show signs of scarring then it'll be pretty much a definitive diagnosis.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but maybe something you may sort of expected, and there is a chance it could be something else, but highly unlikely given the findings of your colonoscopy and previous test results. If you do get a diagnosis of IBD, rest assured it can be treated with medication and diet changes, to make your symptoms as minimal as possible, but there is no cure as yet, so it will be something you may have to live with for quite some time.

I'm not sure if that's what you wanted to hear, probably not, but there are plenty of IBD sufferers that will be able to guide you and give you the best possible advice and help you need to get through this, all you have to do is ask, I've always found it helpful to speak to others suffering with IBD to get help, advice and an insight into what to expect and what I can do to make life as easy as possible.

I wish you all the best for the future and do take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your help. I’ve never had a colonoscopy before so didn’t really know if my results where normal or not, your reply has at the least reassured me that my symptoms are not all in my head! I had previously been diagnosed with IBS but knew deep down it was more than that! 

Thanks again 

• Posted

No problem Zoe, we're all here to help each other out when we can.

Your symptoms are definitely not in your head, with that amount of extensive ulceration and inflammation it's no wonder why you have been feeling so unwell, and even though some doctors are convinced they are right in their diagnosis, we know our bodies best and we know when there is something more sinister going on.

As Felinia said, the 6 week quote time is a good sign that there doesn't seem to be any indication of cancer, and no polyps either which is also good as these can become cancerous.

At least now you can start to get the treatment you need and can start looking towards the future, and with the right treatment, you will have a future, you just need to keep on top of your medication and diet and you'll be ok.

Take it easy and all the best!

• Posted

Hi

First the good news.  If they are quoting 6 weeks for results they did not see anything to suggest cancer, which is what most people fear.  Nor did they say anything about polyps.

Erythema is redness of the skin or mucous membranes, caused by increased blood flow in superficial capillaries.   A quoted example is sunburn!  Basically it means mild inflammation.  Ileitis is an inflammation of the ileum, a portion of the small intestine.  I agree with Paul.  The finding of small ulcers and your other symptoms is suggestive of an inflammatory bowel disease, IBD, of which there are a number.  He has given a very comprehensive reply, so I won't repeat it! 

I am not a medical person - unfortunately you will have to wait for the definitive answer.  It is possible this has been the problem all along, not IBS.  I was originally told IBS and it turns out it wasn't that at all, but severe Diverticular Disease.  Fortunately that was not mentioned in your results.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.