What do my xray results mean?...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Okay this is my xray results...

Xray cervical spine-

Straightening of the normal cervical lordosis. Discovertebral height, soft tissue planes and bony alignment preserved.

No facet joint arthropathy. No cervical ribs or apical lung lesions. 

Mild cervicothoracic scoliosis convex to the left.

Xray thoracic spine-

Subtle mid thoracic scoliosis convex to the right centred at approx T7/8 without kyphosis, no paravertebral lesion.

Xray lumbar spine and pelvis-

Five lumbar type vertebral bodies, vertebral body height and alignment preserved without spondylolisthesis or pars defect.

Sacroiliac joints are within normal limits.

Proximal femora are within normal limits.

On the erect image pelvic unlevelling is noted high on the left st approx 17mm, similar distance is noted at the level of the femoral head high on the left approx 15-17mm. Is there a history of leg length discrepancy? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kurt,

?   The meaning of your x-ray results is that most of us are probably a little jealous.  I just had my third cervical surgery and now have the bottom 4 cervical vertebrae and the top 2 thoracic vertebrae all fused into one unit.  But seriously, you fail to mention how old you are but these results show very little wrong from the perspective of anything that should cause any serious pain.  The spine has a natural series of bends to it especially in the cervical and lumbar regions which allow for the normal human posture and they are referred to as lordosis.  Your cervical spine shows some straightening of that lordosis which is not that uncommon, especially as you get older.  You also show signs of mild scoliosis in a couple of places which is the spine leaning to one side of the other.  This is not "normal" in technical terms but again not a great concern especially when, like yours, it is not extreme.  I'm not sure about the discrepancy between the left and right hips as much.  I'm assuming that over time something like that could cause problems with your gait and they may recommend some sort of orthotic to help level things out but it doesn't seem extreme to me.  Other than that your discs seem to be mostly normal in height with normal facet joints and a healthy SI joint, at least as much as can be seen from x-ray.  

• Posted

Thanks for the reply!

Well im 22 with many ongoing health issues/symptoms the doctors cant figure out except for those xrays.. only reason he ordered the xrays was because during a physical exam for the pain between the shoulder blades my soine was very tender, it hurt just touching it

• Posted

Kurt,

​   Keep in mind that the x-ray exam is intended to display the gross anatomy of the skeletal system.  It is very possible that you have soft tissue problems or some sort of inflammation from any number of causes that causes the tenderness.  This would not show up on the x-ray.  The good news is that the facet joints typically show degeneration once osteoarthritis has been present for some time and your facet joints look good in the x-rays.  But again, the x-ray is a first line of defense imaging technique looking for gross structural problems like fractures, osteoarthritis, flattened disc heights, bone spurs etc.  Your doctor will use other imaging techniques and tests if he wants to dig deeper.  Hang in there, I suspect your examination is not done there.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.