What Do People Recommend For Arthritis Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have age related osteoarthritis and recently bad sciatica.  I don't like taking anti inflammatory medication as it makes me bleed internally.  I find strong pain killers give me bad side effects.  Paracamol is the only thing I take.  Any suggestions please for perhaps herbal remedies that may help.

Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello anne. I don't know whether you live in the UK or not but I was prescribed Nefopam by my GP last year. I have osteoarthritis. It's not an anti inflammatory or an opiate and it works really well for me. It's used for women in labour and in postoperative patients so it must be good. The other good thing about it is that you can take it with other painkillers. I know it's not available in the USA which is why I mentioned where you live. 
    • Posted

Yes I live in the UK.  Thank you for replying to me.  I did not want to worry the doctor.  Thank you for your suggestion, that is very interesting.  Perhaps I will go to see GP.  I have seen rheumatologist at hospital few years ago, and refused injection in back, but this sciatica is difficult to cope with.  I find I get flare ups, and then things settle for a while.  Do you find the same?
    • Posted

I had a steroid injection in my shoulder in February because I just could not move my arm. My GP had given me one a few years ago but that didn't work. The lasted one done by the rheumatologist worked wonders and I was pain free for about 8 weeks. I do get flare ups but they are lasting for so much longer now. I have pain in my hands, feet, knees and again in my shoulder. X-Rays confirm osteoarthritis but I was initially referred to a rheumatologist because my rheumatoid factor was raised x
    • Posted

I have in the past had steriod injections.  It really eased tennis elbow in both arms.  Was offered injection in my back by rheumatologist at hospital, but said I would try without.  That was a few years ago now.  Last year I had two private osteopath sessions, which did not help, and then six sessions of physiotherapy at hospital.  The pain eased, but has now returned with sciatica.  I can't afford to go private now though.  I know it is age related arthritis that is causing my pain.  I was wondering if we get flare ups and then they subside. You say this happens to you.  My left hand is worse than my right, so frustrating.  I hate getting old, but hey, just have to keep going!!  
  • Posted

I am in a similar position and my consultant recommended Volatrol gel assuming you can  reach the spot. It worked well for me
    • Posted

Thank you.  I am a Knight too!!  I will try the Voltarol. 
  • Posted

Hi Anne - I really sympathise, I too have 'issues' with anti inflamms but in reality as OA is an inflammatory disease, they are the most effective pain relief as they take down the inflammation causing the pain.  Straightforward pain meds without anti inflamm properties are not the best for arthritis pain.  Make sure you take a stomach protector, ie omeprazole or similar, whenever you take NSAID meds. Natural anti inflammatories include ginger (try getting good quality ginger teabags from a health food store) or curcumin - its present in small concentrations in turmeric the spice but much better to buy a supplement from health store as the concentration is higher - its quite effective in a lot of cases.  Mixing ginger (the flesh of the root not the powder or stem ginger) with a body oil or lotion and rubbing onto the joints is also very effective.  Voltarol is an NSAID and the gel or cream rubbed on the sore points is good but taking it orally is much swifter and more effective but again get a prescription for a stomach protector from your doctor.  paracetamol is a good painkiller but won't have much effect on the inflammation but may well help with the sciatica.  Gentle exercise particularly in water (ie swimming or gentle water aerobics) really helps mine, particularly if the water is warm - I aim for the kiddie pool smile .  I've started meditation - with elements of Mindfulness which was developed specifically for pain relief purposes - and that's also having good results.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you loxie.  Omeprazole gave me really bad side effects, so cannot take that.  I am too scared to try Ibrupofen again.  My doctor did prescribe Ibruprofen gel, but did not help.  I use Biofreeze and it helps a bit.  Tried heat wraps, but only get a bit of relief.  Physiotherapist at hospitasl gave me exercises to do, and said a hot water bottle helps, which it does to a certain extent.  Others people have said tumeric helped their pain.  I also read about green lipped mussel and rose hip.  I take glucosamine hoping it helps.  wknight above recommends voltarol, so I will try that.  Tried other rubs and gels, but just keep trying new things, anything.  I walk, which helps.  Used to swim but now have no car, not so easy to get about.  I have a bus pass.  Must try the local pool again.  Gosh I am old and wrinkled and do not really want to put on a swimsuit!!! 

Thanks for your help.  Hope you are OK

• Posted

Hi Anne.  Have you tried Naproxen?  You may already have done so and had the same problems as with ibuprofen but I didnt get anywhere near as many issues with Naproxen as I did with ibuprofen or diclofenac (voltarol).  Sorry to hear omeprazole wasnt good for you, I heard that could be the case.  Is there perhaps an alternative stomach protector you could take, eg lansoprazole? You might already have explored this or found the same problem I guess.  It's really a Catch 22 situation isn't it - the 'cure' can be worse than the 'disease' sometimes.  It's a juggling act to find what works without causing more distress.  I am finding the meditation really really helpful - do look up Mindfulness based stress reduction on the web, it was developed in the USA specifically for pain relief purposes and has gained a big following.  It is claimed to work by allowing the brain to 'de focus' away from the pain messages.  I don't profess to understand all the techie jargon but I do find that for days after my meditation class my pain levels are really reduced and I'm much more mobile.  Good luck with finding the right solution for you, it's an uphill battle but as we don't have a choice, all I can say is 'happy hillclimbing'. xx
    • Posted

Bless you for your lovely reply.  When I was so ill with Omeprazole I looked it up and that is when I found this site.  There are so many people who have had bad side effects with it.  My doctor was not surprised when I told him. 

Thanks for suggesting Mindfulness.  I have heard about that because I am on the depression site too as had it for many years.  May give it a try, thankyou for suggesting it. 

I do hope you find relief from your pain.  Bless you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.