What do these numbers look like?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, can someone tell me what these numbers look alike. I have HORRIBLE periods and about 15 days out of the month I am absolutely miserable with too many symptoms to mention. The other 15 days, I’m perfect. 

IRON 15

Sat 3.5

TIBC 427

TRFR 305.2

FERRITIN 4.1

RBC 4.15

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hgb 7 .. Should be 12-16

Ferritin <... should be  6-155

Iron 6 .. should be 33-150

Rbc 4.6 should be 3.9-5

These are my results compared to what they should be.  

The heavy periods will cause iron to be low.  Check your hemoglobin too which is the hgb test.  That is the red blood cells that carry oxygen.  The numbers you posted show that you are low in iron and your dr will probably put u iron pills.  

If your iron continues to get lower and doesn’t bounce back on its own u will feel worse and worse.  Iron pills may help.  My cells don’t hold iron so now I am seeing a gynecologist to figure out how to stop my periods as my hematologist requested.  Having low iron and hemoglobin is the worse feeling ever 

• Posted

I had to go to a heart Dr because my heart rate was out of control and he is who did labs and found the numbers. I’ve had HORRIBLE periods for the last 12 years. I guess you just get used to it and compensate or know it will pass until the next month. I say every month, I might bleed to death...lol. It’s catching up for sure. The Dr. put me on one iron pill a day. I don’t think it’s cutting it. I think it might be helping a bit but then the next month rolls around and I’m back at square one. Im ready to retest my labs. I’m thinking of a hysterectomy because it’s truly miserable and ridiculous. I’m 45 and it seems my period just gets worse.  The symptoms are horrid and I’m fed up. I’m seriously only good about 15 days out of the month.  Thank you for taking the time to reply. Best of luck to you. 
  • Posted

Hi, the ferritin is very low should be at least 15 or 20 up to about 150, I presume the iron equals hemogobin level which is normal at 15.
    • Posted

My hemoglobin is 10.5 but why is a persons iron normal and ferritin so low?  My monthly cycle?  Do I treat low ferritin as a person would low iron?  
    • Posted

Hi, basically hemogobin is a measure of iron in the blood, and ferritin is a measure of the iron store, if the iron the ferritin iron store keeps dropping the hemogobin will drop very low there won't be enough iron in the store to top it up, I'll find some info on this and send PM.

• Posted

Hi, yes they do treat low ferritin iron store, my ferritin was getting low 37 but not as low as yours, so GP put me on iron capsules ferrous fumarate but I could not tolerate the Gut issue's so I bought Bisglycinate iron supplement capsules, it's milder on your stomach etc, I took 1 capsules in a morning and 1 at night, I opened capsules up into about 200 mils of water with effervescent vitamin C tablet in, iron absorbs much better if take with vitamin C, my ferritin rose from 39 to 138 in about 3 months, and I had no effects gut issue's etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.