What Do These Results Mean

Posted , 9 users are following.

After four weeks of waiting I just got my results.  

I have been told by the lady doing the Dexa  Scan that my results weren't good. 

However having done some research I don't believe they are that bad.

I really have no idea so here is my results and here is the treatment recommendation please if there is anyone that could just advise me I would be grateful. Thank you .

MY RESULTS

Hip and spine bone density results

Lumbar spine (L1/L4)

Total T score = -3.7

Total Z score = -2.5

Rate of Change:

Left Hip

Total T score = -2.2

Total Z score = -1.5

Left Femoral Neck

Total T score = -1.9

Total Z score = -0.8

Rate of Change:

Fracture risks

Low trauma fracture at age 50 years and over osteoporosis

Results

The total T score throughout the lumbar spine indicates osteoporosis. 

The total T score throughout the hip indicates osteopenia. 

TREATMENT RECOMMENDATION 

With results and history of hiatus hernia advised;

Risedronate 35 mg once weekly and 

combined calcium and vitamin D 1000-1290mg 

calcium 800 I i of vitamin d daily in divided doses. 

Follow-up advised to check for gastrointestinal  side effects. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Osteoporosis is T score at or above -2.5 .it's the Standard deviation from the norm of a 30 year old ( when our bones are a their strongest) The Z score is the standard deviation from your own age group. The higher the score the further you are from the norm.

Osteopenia is a score of -1 to - 2.5

Your treatment plan looks like the usual . I'd contact your GP he should be able to explain it all to you.

• Posted

I can't get an appointment  with my GP.  They offered me only a telephone consultation so I have called the hospital and I'm going back to talk to them about it. 

So I don't really understand what you have written are you telling me that the said score is what you would expect to see for a 30-year-old? Thank you so much for replying to me 

• Posted

No its a comparison to a 30 year old. So if you have a score of 0 to 1 would be what a normal 30 yo . T scores are mathematical . Z score is comparison with people I'm your own age group. It's all to do with how far away from the norm. So a score of -1 is not as severe as a score of - 4

If you look up Normal Distribution Curve it might make more sence.

People can have a s ire of -4 snd not have any fractures and someone with a score may have a score of -2.5 and have a fracure. You can look up FRAX score and fill out the details it can give an I diction if your risk of having a fracture

• Posted

Thank you for replying to Anne. 

I ended up telephoning the national  osteoporosis Society and spoke to a lovely nurse.  

I think she use the calculator that you mentioned.  

She also said T scores in themselves do not determine the risk of fractures. 

My age lowers the risk of fracture, therefore is a positive compare to the same T score for someone who is 80. 

Another positive is bone strength. That my broken leg has mended well and quickly. 

My t score for my spine is a  osteoporosis fracture risk and medication should be considered as it can increase bone density. 

It is likely as I avoided dairy in my teens and 20s that my bone  density has always been low. 

However she did say that only side-effects by phosphates have our gastrointestinal. However if I have injections these will not cause this problem.  The jaw side-effect that I am aware of tends to only exist in those people suffering from bone cancer who receive the same medication. 

I expect that there is more to this statement.   However I need to find a balance that works for me .

Therefore I believe I will take the medication offered of an injection once every six months. 

• Posted

You are very similar to me. My worst spine result is -4.3 and I have not had any fractures. I am 72 years old.

my husband has the bones of a 30 year old but he does suffer with osteoarthritis.

I was prescribed AA too but decided after careful consideration and research not to go down that path.

Vitamin K2 is very important to add to your supplements. Calcium and vitamin D3 can be checked in your blood tests to see if they need a top up.

There is a lot you can do by way of diet and exercise too.

The decision is yours to make.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen thank you for replying.  

Deciding on medication has been the biggest issue for me but I think I will go with the injections which I have been offered as I have GU issues.   I am also making lifestyle changes  and I have started seeing a cranial osteopath  for healing.   Your husband sounds fab but  I know the osteoarthritis can be very painful.   

• Posted

Hello! It's confusing, isn't it! You have osteoporosis in your lumbar spine but it's not massively into the porosis range, however you could fracture and that is what they are al worrying about. My result was similar 2 years ago and I have not taken Alendronic Acid. Both my results showed Osteoporosis but one is properly out of that range now and the other is on the edge of Osteopenia.

I have brought these results down by VitD and Calcium supplements and have recently added vitK2 because apparently this guides the calcium directly to the bones. I seriously upped my dietary intake of calcium and VitD by drinking lots of milk, eating lots of cheese, eating lots of oily fish, especially the boney ones like sardines and pilchards. I also eat lots of dark green leafy veg. I walk as much as I can every day and now use Nordic poles to increase the weight I'm carrying to stimulate bone growth. I love them because they stabilise me as well. The hospital was amazed because both results showed a dramatic improvement. So much so that they have agreed to another two years to the next Dexa Scan without taking Alendronic acid! 

There are quite a few others on here who are going this natural route but you have to accept the risks. 

You didn't say how old you are. I am also assuming that you haven't had fractures in the past.

Good Luck! X

• Posted

Thank you for replying Sheilamac. 

I am 56.

I haven't considered Nordic poles but as I am three weeks weight-bearing after a broken leg I expect this would be ideal for me when I'm off crutches.

The broken leg is nothing to do with osteoporosis. 

I'm also  Inspired that you took alendronate acid with success.  

I did telephone the National osteoporosis Society.   I spoke to a nurse and had a very lengthy discussion.  She suggested the injections would work for me as I have a hiatus hernia and GU issues. Of course I would like to take the natural route but ultimately I want to cause this condition to lessen  so I intend to try the injections.  I will also increase my exercise and have started eating more calcium rich foods. 

I had been taking osteo care for years but recently it was told by a private GP that I should be taking vitamin d and K2 in and oil form which I am.  I expect the osteoporosis clinic will give me different medication for Vitamin D now. 

• Posted

Leah, seems to be a misunderstanding. I never took ALendronic Acid! I was describing my progress without resorting to it! 

Sorry if I wrote it wrong in my first message.

sheila

• Posted

Apologies.  

I think I will try the injections though as I understand they should not  provide the same problems as the tablet s.

• Posted

Hi Leah sounds like you have found a good nurse to answer your questions. I have been on Riseodronate tablets for just over 2 years and have had no side effects and a massive improvement in my t-scores. It is very confusing the way the results are written and the z -scores add to that confusion. Anne has explained it well. While diet and exercise are really very important, sometimes it is not enough. I intend to stay on the meds for 3 years then to continue to eat well and exercise daily to remain in the osteopenia range. For now, like you, my hips are osreopenia but still osteoperosis in my spine. I would like to reach -2.4 in my spine. Currently -2.9 but I was -3.5 I wish you well
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I am already an active person with a good diet so although I could still make some improvement I don't feel that there is enough to make a difference to my T score .  

Like you I feel that taking a little medication now means that it saves me taking a lot more later.  

I do plan to make a difference in my diet by adding daily probiotic yoghurt.  

In my early years I had a dairy allergy which probably promoted low bone density.  I now find I can tolerate easily yoghurt so this is a plus.   I am sending you  everyone else on this board positive energy and healing.

• Posted

I understand where you are coming from. I too could only make small changes to my diet and exercise regeime and knew it would not make sufficent difference to my scores. I loved all things dairy all my life and all greens too but still developed OP. 2 spinal fractures are no fun. If changes in diet and exercise can be made, great but, some of us did not discover we had OP until we were quite far down the road. And, thank you for your wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Leah, you don't mention your age but nevertheless it does sound like you are  getting excellent care. I am 59 and have struggled with osteopenia and now osteoporosis for  Many years. have had numerous fractures and taken both  Fosamax and the drug you are going to try....unfortunately my bone density continues to slope downwards and hasn't increased at all.  My lumbar spine was the lowest reading, but not as low as yours more in the -2.5 to -3 range.  anyway recently had spinal surgery, a laminectomy and decompression and also a fusion of L4-S1. My surgeon said the bone quality  was extremely poor! 

I am now using The big guns bone drug Forteo,  as well as a bone stimulator. Forteo is the only drug  Known to build bone,    And is injected daily! 

I will let you know what the results are! And hope that Fosamax works great for you l-cheers. 

• Posted

You must be in a lot of pain celaine. My spinal fractures were very painfully but luckly, I am now back to normal. Has anyone given you any indication as to why you have OP? Are you on meds for other thing? Do you have malabsorbtion or other reasons? I imagine you will find exercise difficuilt with everything you have been through. I hope you see some improvement with the Forteo and hopefully no more fractures. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.