What do you do to stop a panic attack?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys. I've been suffering from debilitating panic attacks for years and I still haven't been able to find something that helps. Breathing, fresh air, yoga, NOTHING helps. Sometimes I try playing a stupid game on my phone or have my boyfriend give me a massage but really thing that helps is Ativan or Xanax. I bought magnesium oil because that's supposed to help. I was also thinking about trying the CBD oil. Does anyone have any weird tricks or methods of distracting oneself? Ugh. I just want it to stop!!!! Thanks in advance.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I feel the same as you so it may help you to know your not alone feeling like this.

Ironically I commented this morning how I was feeling better than I had in the last month. However this evening the anxiety and panic has come back. Half hr ago I resorted to taking 2.5mg of valium.are you on any other medication like antidepressants ?

The only thing that I have found that sometimes helps is sitting in the sauna. More specifically the steam room. I tend to concentrate on my breathing in there more. After a couple of hrs in and out of the steam room it does lower my anxiety most of the time.

The other thing is writing and posting on here .

Wishing you the best Rich

• Posted

Interesting about the sauna and steam room. I'll have to give it a try. I am on Prozac currently. Yeah I think a forum and group support is really important. I'm new here so let's hope for the best haha. Take care.
  • Posted

I've noticed lately that I have a few "coping mechanisms" during panic attacks. I'll either rock back and forth, bounce my leg or make a fist with my hand and dig my nails in my palm. Once I can overcome a few of my attack symptoms I focus on rocking/bouncing my leg/making a fist until the attack disappears.

They've become obsessions I suppose, but they work so I'm not complaining!

• Posted

I forgot to mention as well, whenever I feel a panic attack coming on I begin to do one of these things to calm myself down before things get out of hand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.