What do you do when your anxiety leaves you breathless?

Posted , 3 users are following.

What do you do to calm yourself down when your anxiety knocks the breath out of you? Mine is acting up today unfortunately.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I always try to sit down chill out and listen to some music or read a book. Maby talk to my mom or watch movie. Good luck!!!! cool
  • Posted

I started having the feeling like I had to take a deep breath and just couldn't quite a few times.  It only seems to kind of "catch" on the left side so not sure whether it is muscular or a symptom of anxiety.  I can get a deep breath every now and then and seem to have been yawning a lot for the past week.  I haven't had a really bad anxiety attack in a couple of years (I was diagnosed with anxiety about 3 years ago and is due to my age - perimenopause) but I think this one has been sneaking up on me over the last couple of weeks or so and finally manifested itself last Thursday with the feeling that I couldn't get that deep breath when I felt I needed it.  However, I am not short of breath if that makes any sense.  I finally gave in today and took 1/4 of the Clonazepam that was prescribed to me 3 years ago (I still have the entire bottle of the one month supply as I am not one to take medication).  It took the edge off but I am also practicing diaphragmatic breathing and have even been researching the Buteyko method.  I have sinus issues going on right now so it sure doesn't help when your sinuses get blocked up and you start mouth breathing, getting an overabundance of air which, in turn, makes you feel like you don't have enough.  Crazy cycle.  I hope you feel better soon! 

• Posted

thanks! and everything you say makes sence!!! just chill for a while and take ur mind off it.... Also id be careful taking meds after them sitting a long time cuz thry caan go bad and it can make u super sick
    • Posted

Fudge lol that was to a different thing lol. I feel like a fool lol... SORRY   redface
  • Posted

No worries, chick 30548!  I accidentally spilled nail polish remover on the first bottle so I returned it to my doctor and she refilled it last November!  wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.