What do you tell the kids?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Quick question.  I have 2 kids.  Last night my youngest who is 13 saw my pills and asked what they were for.   I just said they help people with stress, I could see the worry on her wee face and she said is this what you took when papa died, these made you feel horrible when you stopped them.  I was feeling really sick last night and I just sort of brushed her off and today I feel guilty and wonder if I should have an honest conversation.   She is quite and anxious little person herself and I worry if I tell her too much that she will think this is what is going to happen to her.   It’s really hard to hide anything from teenagers.  Not sure what approach to take here.  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i feel your pain,, it made me sad just reading it very sensitive person i m, put it this way we take them so we feel better and coz last this is to get them worry and explain stress at that age i know they ask alot of questions but give them always positive answers, and for you tri not to put ur self down is long hill and we climing back up (slowly but surly) my dad suffers from anxiety very bad at the mom and they asked me to take him to mental hospital today to chek i m so anxious goin coz i dont like it, wen i see people suffering it tuches me bad,, hope u have a lovely day and keep ur head up 🙏

• Posted

Thanks Ben.   I think I will have a wee chat to her tonight and hopefully put her mind at ease.  I think a bit of honesty but not the full thing is best. I have always been very honest with my kids about everything and we communicate really well so I can’t stop that now just because I am feeling a bit crap.   I spoke to my gp this morning and i have an anti sick med to try so hopefully that will help with the nausea.  Thanks Ben xx 
    • Posted

Ben I hope today goes ok for you with your parents.  It’s hard to cope with seeing a parent unwell.  Xx 
    • Posted

thanks same with u ,, lets keep our heads up and and one day look back and say well is was just part of life that we have to get throu!!! 
  • Posted

I’m at 5 weeks with Citipram 40 mg and still getting the nausea and tingling in my arms and legs. Will it soon go away?
  • Posted

Hi Laura,tell her the truth,but in a childish way.They help with butterflies in the tummy.It will teach her it is ok to get a little help,it means you are a strong person,weak people don’t often ask for help,it is easier  to pretend all is ok.We are on a journey to improve our life,be proud of it.❤️❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.