What do you think about electronic cigarettes?

Posted , 6 users are following.

With the use of electronic cigarettes increasing, I'd like to see what the general population thinks of vaping and those who vape. What are the best ways to vape without annoying those who do it?

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Personally, having never smoked at all, vaping seems like another way for the industry of bad habits to grab your money by allowing people to pretend to smoke. Having heard that one still must not vape in the presence of others, especially children because nicotine still fills the air, what is the use in vaping?

Dawn

• Posted

I'm of the opinion that it's the action rather than the nicotine intake that's the thing. Perhaps a nicotine free vapour would be the way to go, after all, people will smoke anything if tobacco isn't available, and seem quite content with the results although they may have a prefered brand that they will invariably revert too when they're available. I think giving up smoking is a better option.
    • Posted

Steve, what on earth are you talking about. Do you really not know that it is the nicotine that is the source of the addiction. E cigs provide the nicotine in a much safer way that cigarettes. No smoke!
    • Posted

Hi homo dieticus,

Yet we also know that beyond the addiction to nicotine, smoking also involves behavioral (actions) habits and even specific situations or emotions, that support and trigger the need to smoke. So Steve 1 is not far off in his thinking.

• Posted

I also do not agree with vaping, I suffer from a lung disease, not smoking related, and the amount of smoke that comes from these e cigs is more than normal cigarettes and chokes me.  For others these e cigs can cause just as many problems as ordianry cigarettes.
    • Posted

Well, Elizabeth, you've really changed the rules here. There is no smoke without fire, everyone knows that. According to you, this is not true and there is smoke without fire. How does that work? The point is that just because these things are called electronic cigarettes doesn't mean that they are cigarettes. Cigarettes are a dangerous delivery system for nicotine. Tobacco smoke contains at least 4000 components, some of which are dangerous. Electronic cigarettes do not contain tobacco. There is no combustion and no smoke. Why do you seem to believe that e cigs can cause just as many problems as cigarettes?
    • Posted

I have stood beside people using these things and believe me there is a lot of smoke they blow out
    • Posted

It might look like smoke but it cannot be smoke as nothing is being burned. E-cigs must be less harmful than tobacco cigarettes which produce smoke containing over 4000 poisons. The e-cig delivery system is about  harm reduction. I would worry less about the possible hazards of e-cigs to bystanders and focus on the dangers associated with the  exhaust from diesel engines. The exhaust contains dangerous nitrogen oxides and carbon particles which are covered with carcinogenic chemicals. These particles can enter our lungs and may cause cancer.
    • Posted

You might want to research this, before you tell someone they are wrong. Elizabeth in fact, is correct. Depending on the temperature that you adjust your vaporizer to, you can either direct the heat to produce steam, or smoke. Most people I have been around, turn it up high enough to produce smoke. I too, turn mine up high enough, to produce smoke. Why? Because to me, I didn't feel like I was getting the same "properties" from steam, as I was getting from smoke and, watching how my body responded, it was doing worse with steam as well. 

There is also a difference between E-cigs and vapes. Please, do your research, before you tell someone they are wrong. 

• Posted

Thanks for putting me straight. I had no idea that "vapes" were adjustable so that you can chose between steam and smoke.  I use one made by Mystic Vapor Ltd. To be honest, it doesn't quite hit the spot and I'm thinking about moving on to an adjustable one. I've checked out the internet but I haven't managed to source one yet. Could you help me by posting me the name of the one you use. Thanks in anticipation.
    • Posted

Most welcome homo dieticus. I use Da Vinci but, and here's maybe where you could help me with something. I thought that by switching from a pipe to a vape (I smoke pot, not cigs but, the outcome is the same, only the pot, in my opinion is healtheir and helps with certain dis-eases) i'd feel better and symptoms would clear up but, the opposite is going on. My lungs feel heavier and symptoms are returning. I don't feel as good either. Doesn't make sense, does it? Any idea why? 

No idea on this but, I'm wondering,, a pipe is a pipe (doh I know) but, who knows what the vape is made of? You bringing this up, reminded me to see if I could find what materials a vape is made of. The only thing I can think of, is maybe it's something that it's made out of, breathing it in? VOC's can cause issues if breathed in so, I guess it would make sense if there's crap that these are made out of (Not that I'm calling these craply made, lol, but, maybe some of the material they unknowingly used isn't as good as they thought? The chamber in these is metal, hard to tell what kind and I have noticed an odd taste sensation when using it. I don't use the plastic tube they send, I hit straight off the vape. 

How do you feel since vaping? I've tried both steam and smoke, the temp doesn't seem to matter. A not about temps; Some say setting it to 200-250 keeps it at steam, 250 and higher starts turning to smoke but, to get the highest amount of the properties, the setting should be 350'ish and anything above 350 or so, after a few hits it'll start to burn. 

Sorry if this sounds discombubilated, I just woke up and wanted to answer you back to help if I could. Thank you too.

• Posted

Also scientific studies are showing that e cigs emit nicotine into the air and it does affect others and is already being warned to not vape in the presence of children. Sure there is no fire and subsequently no smoke, but there is still nicotine. So Elizabeth's experience is valid and true.

homo dieticus, why can you not have a healthy informational debate without insulting other people's opinions?

• Posted

In my opinion, e-cigarettes are worse than smoking normal cigarettes.

They have proved they can encourage children to smoke, which in itself is a bad - they should be sold to over the of age 21, and backed up by PhotoID.

The facts we know about e-cigarettes:

1. They lower your immune system, more than likely causing bronchial infections

2. There is no scientific proof that smoking e-cigs is any different to smoking real cigarettes. Apart from e-cigs do not give off smells in your clothes, curtains, smelly ash trays, etc.

They can also be dangerous, not just by vapour, but some of the cheap ones sold under counters in the UK, have been known to cause fires.

Would I recommend them, not a chance! I do not smoke so, but I did for over 30 years, tried an e-cig a few times - thought they were disgusting, its nothing like smoking a real cigarette, I gave up using nothing!! It can be done, it just take will-power and the want to give up.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the want to give up.

every smoker knows they should stop but find excuses why they don't.

If they admit that they don't want to give up the excuses will seem petty.

Realisticaly, only those who want to give up or those who have no choice do so easily, the others tend to falter.

Taking an alternative source of nicotine is just that, an alternative, not a better way just another way, but hey! they're not smoking so it must be good.

• Posted

There is one good reason why I hate e-cigs, okay I didn't use them to give up, I found them useless to be honest.

The market was flooded with e-cigs, but then it went a step further and that was adding flavours. This is where they should be made unavailable to children. My daughter at the time was 12, and they were being sold around the school for cheap, from imports.

They say normal cigarettes can kill, but enticing children is another matter. Even the WHO does not support them, and now countries have started banning them, I noticed recently New York is considering banning them.

I hope the market for these things drops out, putting them out to kids is a bad way of getting advertising anyway!!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les smile

I have to agree with you. Although I quit cigarettes, I was using these for smoking marijuana, to help with my symptoms (long story) but, I thought that I would have felt better after switching to a vape, which is pretty much the same as the E-cig, only more room for temperature adjustment but, to my surprise, I began to feel worse...

My lungs seem to hurt more, my symptoms are returning and I'm starting to just feel, icky. I am really starting to wonder, if it's not either something about the way these things are made, maybe something in the materials? Who knows what these little gadgets are made out of and what we're really breathing in.

I just know I find it very odd, that the vape is actually making things worse and I've talked to other people, that have had a harder time once they switched to these E ones too. 

You brought up a good point too, who knows what these cheap E-cigs have in them and what they're filled with. I've been leary just from the materials that have been used in them :O 

If a person's wanting to quit smoking cigs, I would strongly suggest to buy a high quality one, please make sure you do your research everyone. Some things, you just can't go cheap on anymore. 

Sincerely, 

Sheryl smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.