What do you think detoxing from alcoholism emergency room.

Posted , 7 users are following.

will you choose ER to detox from alcoholism. ??

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Detoxing in ER has not been going well. This my first detox I’m on Ativan don’t understand why. I came in with shakes that could hardly walk. Now I’m stable won’t let me go home want to put me on these pills that makes really dizzy.  Then the doc said want to go to the pyc Ward. I said no.  I apologize for my babblin I just was partying for 3 week straight I never had a withdrawal like this. Know I’m here 
    • Posted

Just saw the longer message. 3 weeks partying? Non stop partying 3 weeks? Surely not. Do you not work or study? Fair to say that you have few problems and listening to the doctor is probably a good thing. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I was surprised when I read this.
  • Edited

Well from past experience the only way ER will actually treat you is if you have harmed yourself in from a fall or if you have been in a brawl due to being drunk. You can't just walk in and they will offer you treatment. They will firstly send you back to your own doctor for referrals and such. The system isn't good like that as without just cause the ER room won't help you in that way !

• Edited

From what I have read, alcohol withdrawal is the only drug withdrawal that you can die from. I’m talking the withdrawal itself. Benzodiazepines like Valium and Ativan prevent seizures (which is what kills people during withdrawal).

In an emergency situation, the ER is the place to be when you have the DTs for this reason. I’m not blowing smoke here....look it up. It’s a proven fact.

• Posted

.....also....I can’t believe they didn’t tell you that!!!! That’s irresponsible on their part. Good luck to you, you must be going through hell.
    • Posted

I went to my doctor and wasn't offered anything just told to stop drinking so I did I totally went for it. Locked myself up with a gallon of water good music and obviously a big bucket. I was ok for a while then it hit big time ! I was rushed into hospital spent 6 weeks which I can't remember being detoxed and had counselling also. I do now suffer with Korsakoff's syndrome for my trouble can't live on my own my son is my carer but yep life goes on. Obviously since 2011 it has all changed as I was offered no meds no nothing and obviously in my situation with everything I was drinking it hit home big time. Thiamine and Vit B 6 for life nerve damage arthritis severe circulation damage and yes a partridge in a pear tree !! Good Luck anyway I just prey you get some resolve for yourself !!

• Posted

Usually bennies are prescribed if a patient is brought in in the condition that Ashley was, shaking and trembling and ataxic after a prolonged period of heavy drinking. This is to prevent seizures. From what I read in her posts she was past the point of going to her GP. I also have had three stints in rehab and was never prescribed anything. I think it has to be a very severe and acute case rather than a very severe chronic case in orde to warrant meds like Ativan. It seems like you and I had/have the chronic deal. Which is also quite serious as evident by you developing Korsakoffs. I have seen this disease, my grandfather had  this too. If you end up in thenER from DTs they are super concerned about seizure/death/lawsuit. 

It’s wonderful that you have your son to help you. So many people have to deal with that alone.

• Posted

Thanks for that and yes my son is a diamond but he is also very proud of me also. He is proud to help me when I need him as he says I could be dead now rather than facing facts and truths with regards to my drinking. I can safely say I really DO NOT miss it. I have asked him what I was like in the bad days and he has had me in tears with some of the situations he has found me in. I have a scare over my right eye where I fell off the front door step and apparently when he found me he just followed the trail of blood then found me passed out in the front room then obviously dialed for an ambulance. That was the start of recovery for me and I could never do that to him or myself again. Life is yes difficult at times with my illnesses but you know ! I am now a grandmother to 4 beautiful children and I have the love and trust back to which means so much to me. I won't say I haven't been to hell and back to get where I am today but you know what ! I'm still here !! It can be done you need to fight back !!

• Posted

Peace to you!!! Your story is an inspiration, Smudger. Brought a tear to my eye...in a good way. 😊

• Posted

You are a hero and also surrounded by a family which loves you 😁

• Posted

Yes I am really really lucky but I would have lost it all and very nearly did and to gain thier trust again did take time and It was not easy I won't sit here and say it was it wasn't. Also after I was discharged from hospital it really was starting a new life all over again but looking back trust me life just wasn't worth it and that is how low that stuff can drag you down and it's a pity that there are so many people out there who need the help and it just seems to be limited. It just isn't fair people do really want to kick these habits but it is so dam difficult when the help is so limited. You take care OK and have a great weekend ! Good old saying Another Day !!!

• Posted

Not really. You should avoid a hostile environment like this and choose rehabilitation centers that specialize in such practices.

• Posted

I am wondering why you are replying after two years? Or did you not notice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.