What do you think I should do before my next appointment?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 24 year old female.

Since the beginning of Febuary, I have been getting bad gas and acid reflux, something I have never been prone to. It started triggering bad episodes of constipation and I was having all kinds of different stomach pains for days on end, at least once a week.

I went to the doctor several times when the pains hit their peak. Generally I feel a tight knot of pressure in my middle abdomen, bad gas, and bowel problems. They perscribed me several different pain killers that didn't work. They started having me take Prilosec twice a day. That helped for a while and my stomach seemed to go back to somewhat normal.

Late Febuary it comes back with a vengence, I was getting incredibly sharp pains. No real nausea, no vomitting or anything. Just pressure. I went to an urgent care and they gave me Carafate, which was a Godsend at first. I got an endoscopy, which unfortunately was two weeks after the worst of the pain.

Biopsies and blood tests came up fine. My doctor only commented that I looked badly inflamed, looked like I had recently had an ulcer that the Carafte helped to heal, and that the inflammation could be allergen related.

I am willing to believe this could be triggered by an allergen, but I don't know what. Since this has all started, I have been eating much better, no caffeine, and only taking the antiinflammatories perscribed be. Only other things I am on are Paxil and birth control, both of which I have been on for years without issue. My endoscopy doctor was at a loss, trying to suggest that those latter two daily medicines may be suddenly causing an allergic reaction. I think this is unlikely, why would birth control or Paxil give me such an immense and sudden gastro problem after several years of use?

Now, I have been taking Prilosec for weeks and twice daily since my endoscopy. I am having diarreah, acid reflux with lumps in my throat, gas, and sharp pains now more than ever. The Carafate and Prilosec are no longer heping. I think I'm going to stop the Priolosec because it never helped much in the first place, and I believe it may be making matters worse based on other people's experiences I have seen on here and elsewhere.

I have no idea what could be wrong with me, but no matter what I eat or do, take or stop taking, this painful pressure in my stomach, terrible acid reflux, and constipation and/or diarreah always seem to come back. I intend to make a doctor's appointment Monday, but I guess I'm curious to know if stopping Prilosec is a good idea and any other thoughts you all have.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been doing my own research and I feel like I must have Diverticulitis. What do you all think??
  • Posted

I would come off Paxil and the birth control to see if symptoms improve.  I think it is possible that you may have developed a sudden intolerance to these medications. The only way of testing this theory is to stop taking these drugs.  

The other possibility is IBS; your symptoms sound like it.  I have IBS and I have had four different types of pain with nausea, constipation, loose stools,back pain, and acid reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.