What do you think I should do on my BPH

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have BPH for 6 months now and going for a ciscostopy.Now took flomax for the same period of time and as of now I can empty 250 mm the same as 1 cup of urine with a feel like a full bladder.Dont know what the average is.Do you think the ciscostopy with the flexable tube is worth it as if retention and a sore uretra afterwards.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Stome: If you are emptying 250mil from your bladder and you are not getting up at night to pee, you sound like you are doing great. I have had REZUM procedure and before it, I was only emptying 100mil of urine at a time. Now, almost six weeks after REZUM, I still only empty 100mil of urine at a time. The good news is that I don't have to take 20 minutes in the bathroom when I get up at night. I simply go and then go back to bed. Sounds like Flomax is doing great for you. If the urologist wants to do a cystoscopy, it wouldn't hurt to make sure there is nothing serious is going on inside your bladder. They are uncomfortable but not really painful. The urologist numbs the urethra by injectiong lydocaine into it before he inserts the cystoscope so very little feeling at all. Good luck and congrats on the use of Flomax. I wish I could pee like that.

• Posted

It is always good to get more data and cystoscopy will provide that. I've had several of them and have not had retention or sore urethra afterwords but perhaps others will chime in.

Rob

• Posted

Thanks for the response but like I said I waited for my bladder to get full as with all that bug me urine slowly building up.Last night I woke up 2 times with bug me I know your there pee.Other times it's a lot worse.I had inflammation of the prostate for 38 years and I urinated 8 times a day with no build up for 1 hour to 2 before I would notice pee building up.Now a weaker stream a build up of 15 minutes to 1 hour or if lucky 1.20 minutes of buildup pee.

• Posted

The Cystoscopy procedure only takes a minute or two, it can be a bit uncomfortable but not painful. The Urethra can be sore initially but then soon settles down to normal within 24 hours. I should know I have had six procedures.

I would recommend having this procedure done, in my case they found early stage bladder cancer which resulted in removal within four weeks. I am now still clear after three years and being monitored every year.

Not saying you have this problem, but it's worth a check.

• Posted

I have had a very similar experience to Jeff. Cancerous bladder tumor removed 2 years ago followed by BCG treatements, then cystoscopy every 3 months for 2 years. I think I've had 7. Never painful, just a little uncomfortable. A little burning for the next one or two urinations and that's about it.

For the OP, if medication is working for you, stick with it. I only agreed to a TURP (successful and very easy) after I became dissatisfied with the alpha blocker.

• Posted

Yes just had mine done and when the flexable scope went in it was there for only 1 minute before it came out again.I got nervaus on a site that it causes erectile disfunktion and renagrade ejackulation problems.Have any one have that problem

• Posted

Don't believe all you are told on websites, I have no problem in that department, perhaps not as good as I used to be but I am 77.

• Posted

The difficult thing is finding statistical data on the % of patients that have various side effects from different treatments and procedures used for BPH. There are plenty of patients that have good results with everything being done for BPH with medicine today. But there are also patients that have side effects, some of which impact sexual health as well. And specific side effects such as retrograde ejaculation (RE) vary by individual, some saying it feels no different and others reporting that it feels very different. Individual experiences may vary and it would be nice if patients could know the more about the pro's and con's before making decisions. Some study data is available, but much of it is behind pay-walls, although sometimes you can see the summary. I didn't worry too much about my cystoscopy as it seemed that any negative effect were most likely very temporary and potentially valuable information was to be gained. But I'm not very trusting with some doctors, we may measure success differently, I see success with improving my BPH symptoms enough for better quality of life while not negatively impacting my sexual health. Often they don't even ask questions about sexual health as they just want to focus on urination.

• Posted

I guess that most medications have some side effects, and as we are all different I suppose it is a question as to what is best for you.

I agree that Consultants tend to concentrate on the Urinary side and don't always mention (if ever) the changes which can alter your sex life.

I would steer away from any surgical procedures if you can.

A friend of mine has had the Urolift procedure which has not totally worked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.