What do you think is happening?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had problems with the edge of my knee, inside for years. It has gotten worse. Did PT and injection. Dr scheduled me for arthroscopy but insurance needs MRI first. That was done today. Knee sometimes locks. Last time was Labor Day. A couple of days ago I was helping my husband and strained my knee. Today the inside of my knee is slightly swollen but so it my upper lower leg, right below where my knee hurts but where it is definitely the lower leg and not my knee. What would cause swelling in my leg? Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would get a second opinion. I have had so many injections without an X-ray or MRI.

Good luck!

• Posted

Inflammation or fluid.  The MRI may be inconclusive.  Happened to me four times, twice each knee.  Doc had to scope them all four times to find and fix the problems.  Stay off the knee as much as you can and take some ibuprofen 800 mg TID (or other tolerated NSAID at the prescribed dosage) for two weeks plus apply some Voltaren Gel (topical, RX in the US) especially at bedtime.  These could help prior to the scoping.  
    • Posted

The Dr told me an MRI wouldn't really help as it may or may not show what is wrong. So he scheduled my scope but the insurance company said I had to have the MRI first. I'm hoping insurance doesn't say I can't have the scope as I think/hope he can fix what's wrong with the scope.

• Posted

Unfortunately, you're at the mercy of the insurance company unless the doc can get them to waive the MRI.  Ask him is that's possible.

• Posted

X-ray should have shown your doctor what is wrong.
    • Posted

The xray didn't show anything wrong. Don't know the results of the MRI yet. Hoping the Dr still goes ahead with the scope and hopefully fix things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.