What does angina feel like? Scared right now......

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering with this since I went to the hospital a month ago for a possible heart attack, (was a panic attack)

-TIghtness in my arms and legs

-dull aches in my left arm and leg that last for a split second to a few seconds then come back

-weakness and severe anxiety (health anxiety) and stress at work

-aches in my back and belly

I hate to have to post here again, but I'm so worried about my overall health right now.  I'm 26 years old, 165 and I started exercising and cutting out unhealthy foods three weeks ago.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I recently went through angina (over the last month and a half) and my symptoms were very subtle. I would have described it as a mild but very noticeable discomfort in the upper chest area. For me, no other symptoms, nothing in the arms, no aches, no headaches. I am much older (58). I found this experience to be highly highly motivating to eat better and lose weight. I understand that stress really constricts the blood vessels so it can bring this kind of thing on. So it makes sense to explore every possible angle to reduce the effect of stress on your life. Like breathing exercises, changing perspectives on things, getting regular exercise, and being patient while you work your plan. Good luck as you sort this out.
    • Posted

Hi Rick, can I ask how you knew you had angina? I really dont know if I have bad heartburn that feels different from the heartburn I used to get, and doesn't respond to prescription meds, or angina, specifically Prinzmetal angina. For me its a dull ache that spreads from the sternum to the sides of my front of chest. It can also make me feel a little light headed when it happens.

• Posted

I have the pains for a split second everywhere but my chest.
    • Posted

Hi Peter, It took me about three weeks to realize I had angina. My wife did a Google search while on holidays in Mexico and the symptoms were consistent. For me, there were zero symptoms when I was at rest or doing low-key stuff around the house. But when I tried to do some exercise or walk up a hill, the feeling of mild discomfort would emerge. Nothing dramatic at all, just a feeling of, "this doesn't feel quite right". No headache, no aches, no pains, no lightheadness, perhaps just a very light and dull "burn" in the upper chest (although that doesn't quite describe it accurately).The fact that it consistently returned upon exertion (and went away when at rest) pretty well confirmed it our minds. Despite a doctor in Mexico checking me out and saying that everything looked OK. And when I returned home, numerous ECGs also said I was OK. Ditto for the blood tests. A treadmill stress test did indicate a problem though. And during the subsequent angiogram, it confirmed I had a lengthy blockage in my pLAD artery that required two stents. One section was 80% blocked, the other 90%. All the cardiologist said was "it's good that we got that when we did." So, it's good not to dismiss these things.

• Posted

Thanks Rick. I had an MRI about 18 months ago that said I have mild mid LAD disease, when I looked up the definition of mild it stated between 25 and 50%, as nobody has even mentioned it to me, I guess they are not worried. I think mine is Coronary Artery Spasm, comes on when I get the slightest bit stressed about anything. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.