What does Celexa do to brain/body

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone know what Celexa is doing to the body/brain to make me feel worse/anxious? I've read so many threads and read that it will take weeks to feel better, but what's it doing to me to make me feel like crap? Like medically? Any ideas?? It's my anxiety kicking in! Thanks for any info!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Oh and this is only my 5th day on it
  • Posted

Look up katecogs posts on here, she explains it very well. 

Basically when you start taking it your getting slightly too much serotonin which is why you get a lift and headache etc. Then the body realises there to much serotonin and stops producing it so anxiety increases and mood drops, then the brain gives up holding  back the serotonin and it all starts working. 

Thanks basic run down, but as I said katecogs posts are more in depth 

• Posted

Also, your cortisol level, which is a stress hormone, is at its highest in the mornings. This combined with the lower serotonin levels creates a whirlwind of emotions. You probably find you feel better in the evenings.  It does balance out but it will take a bit of time.  Stick with it.  Mark
    • Posted

Thank you!!!  I'm hangin in there!  Today is a good day so far! smile

• Posted

Hi Genaro.

would you know how to lower morning cortisol that is my highest anxiety starts

• Posted

The best way to lower cortisol levels in the morning is to exercise. Although you may not feel like it, getting out and about for some light to moderate exercise really helps. I have taken to running 3 times a week and although when I get back I still feel anxious, my anxiety levels have dropped by about 50%. Plus I feel good for having achieved something. I used to go back to bed to try to relax but that just made it worse. Remember, you wont be like this forever even if your brain is trying to tell you that you will. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi

Here's a post I wrote some time ago about what the meds do and why you feel so crap.  Hope it helps x.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reason-meds-take-so-long-and-why-you-feel-rubbish-571394

• Posted

Oh my gosh, katecogs you’re still around! 4 years ago you got me through the first 3 weeks on 10mg cit and now I’m going up to 20mg ( day 13). Nice to see you! 
    • Posted

Hi

Yes still here .... chatting away cheesygrin  Nice to see you too Christine xx.

• Posted

Hi all, looking for some reassurance/advice. I started Celexa about 3 weeks ago for major anxiety. 6 days on 5mg, 4 days on 10mg, and now 7 days on 15mg. Doc wanted to start slow as I am sensitive to meds. Right now I'm feeling an increase in anxiety, can not relax, and some depersonalization, hard time completing simple tasks, no motivation. All I want to do is lay down and sleep but I can't sit still. Don't feel like myself at all!! She also gave me 2mg of diazepam to take as needed for anxiety and respiradol .5 at night and first thing in the morning. I'm not sure any of it is working. I either feel incredibly panicky or majorly out of it. Is this normal? I also have really bad early morning anxiety. Is the depersonalization from anxiety or the meds?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.