What does metabolic rate mean?

Posted , 2 users are following.

There was a health screening at work yesterday. I got a metabolic rate of 25. I am 37 if that helps. All my other results were within range.

I didn't have time to speak with a doctor to ask what this actually meant. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Usually seen this expressed in K calories ie how  much energy you require a day. Bit puzzled. Unless it's 25K in which case it might translate as 2500 calories per day.

Love to know if you sort out the mystery!!

• Posted

Mystery solved my rate was in calories. Just read it wrong. Thanks for replying!
  • Posted

Metabolic Rate is the rate at which the body burns up calories. A body that consumes 2500 calories a day, and burns 2500 calories a day will stay at the same weight. A body, consuming 2500 calories daily but burning only 2000 will gain weight at the rate of about 1lb a week.

Each person has a metabolic rate that’s affected by a number of factors. Some of these factors can be altered, while others can’t be so easily changed. Race, gender, age, size are few of the factors that affect metabolism rate. Even hormones like oestrogen and progesterone may affect the BMR. Women usually run about 3% less than men BMR.

The metabolic rate can even be increased if you change your lifestyle in small ways. Something as unlikely as eating more spicy foods can actually increase your metabolic rate, but just for a few hours after ingestion. Caffeine drinks and green tea also speed up your metabolic rate. If you pick the right kinds of aerobic exercises, you gain not only the calorie-burning effects during exercise, but also the post-exercise effect of burning calories for hours afterwards. Good exercises include step aerobics and faster walking.

Vincent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.