What does my blood test result mean?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am 53 and have just had a blood test to see if I am menopausal. When I rang up for the result the Receptionist said it read "normal - no action required. I don't know if that meant it was normal for anyone or for someone through the change. She said it was below 0.5. I don't even know which hormone it would have been. I wasn't able to speak to the Doctor. Do any of you know what it might be?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Newtoit

My guess is that they are talking about your FSH levels

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003710.htm

Take a look at this link

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I had a look and it would seem that I am not menopausal as 0.5 is low and menopause causing high readings, is that how you read it?
    • Posted

hi Newtoit 

try and get in to the Doc .. or phone receptionist again..

could she mean FSH was normal and FH was 0.5 ? 

my last blood test which was 3 years ago for peri / meno was 

61.3 mUI/ ml total.. i have results i live in spain and they give you all your results, i just checked ... jay xx

• Posted

Hello newtoit

I had the same result and feedback from a blood test about 18 months ago.I thought I was menopausal but now know from how I am feeling these days that I wasnt.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Newtoit..

I am age 49 and in peri, have been for almost 9 years... 

the meno blood test is the FSH ( Follicle Stimulating Hormone ) not sure of what 0.5 means... at first mine came back as normal, although the Doc said I was deffo Peri, thing is as the hormones are so erractic you vary day to day, and when I had my earlier tests that was the case and in normal range... the home testing meno sticks are good, you can monitor yourself at home at different stages of month... ebay have them i had the cheap ones and they worked great, i had a blood test ages ago it said normal, then did tests later in month and said positive for menopause..

hooe that helps Jay xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will try some of the home sticks. I had a mirena coil in and eventually, a few years, it stoppe my periods, it was either that or the change. Then after 2 years of no bled I had a period, they sent my for colposcopy and then the camera in the womb. That was in Feb 2013 and it all came back fine. I had a bleed after that and then nothing until Christmas Day 2013 and then a month after again. It felt exactly like when I was regularly menstruating even the premenstrual symptoms. Now they are sending me for the whole thing over again. I am pretty sure it is the menopause. When I had my coil out it was overdue by nearly 2 years and had caused some inflammation but it all cleared up. I am pleased they are checking though.
    • Posted

Looks like my link is authorised now so have a look
  • Posted

Hi I am now 54 and have had peri meno symptoms since i was 49.  I had the blood tests (FSH hormones and also thyroid) at least once each year.  Tey always came back in normal range.  However normal range might not be normal for you - had a hot flush in the doctors and exaplined all other sysmptoms and yes was told def. going though meno.  Doctors also told me blood tests are never conclusive for this.  Go back to doctors and tell them yr symptoms - have a discussion about hrt and more natural treatments.  I don't take HRT but take natural progesterone and high vitamin regime.  Good luck, don't feel dismissed you are not going mad if you have the symptoms you are going through it!  
    • Posted

Hi Danne

how are you finding your natural progesterone, ? i used that a few years ago use to rub in skin, but had to stop as caused very tender and lumpy breasts, so only used it as stated for a few months, I had like a big lumpy cyst and it stares after using the cream .. so was advised to stop it, it was natural progesterone, two months later the lump had gone and all been okay since... just wonderd how you get on with it ..

i have to use the other ways now. 😏.. Estroven Maximum etc... natural still.

jay xx

• Posted

Hi haven't long started on the nat. progesterone and so far struggling to remember to do it twice a day!  haven't had any adverse reactions to date though but not sure its doing anything to help as yet.  Where do you get Estroven maximum from chemists/health shop or is it a prescription thing?
    • Posted

hi Danne

i hope you get on with the cream okay..

Estroven Max i actually get from ebay a US shop... its the cheapest on there, hes a good seller and ships world wide..

i also got many things including my natural progesterone when i tried it from Biovea web site, they are good for Vits etc ...  including Maca, Vit B6, Vit B 12, etc etc ... Jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.