What does out of control anxiety look and feel like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I`m askimg as I have for 18 month now 24/7 attention and concentration problems. It`s like my eyes can`t form a clear picture of what they see anylonger. bright lights are not very good form me at times. I have intensyfing memory problems and feel easily agitated. Extrem tiredness during the day which bacame as well worse now over the last couple of month. My tiredness actaully preceded all thsi by a couple of years. I can`t talk to people without fading in and out of the conversation. Actually I do get a tense head when the conversation is going on for too long.  Now what really worries me is that these symptoms are all getting gradually worse. I feel like I`m getting dementia at the age of 45.

But can it be that this is all just anxiety related. I`ve been worrying a lot over the last 17 years, had as well OCD. But since I have the symptoms now for 18 month even on days where I did not feel really anxious I`m wondering if there is something else at play. But then maybe the anxiety is always ther even if it is just in the background and I`m just not aware of it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have concentration and memory problems but I put it down to the medication I take for anxiety/depression.

If its been going on for a while go and see your doc and get a medical it may put your rolleyesmind at rest

Stay Strong

• Posted

I`m on no medication at all. My neurolgist puts it all down to anxiety too. But I`m just not so sure about it anylonger. What really confuses me is that I was fine for so long even though I was anxious all those years and then suddenly I get all these symptoms which grdually are getting worse.
  • Posted

Hi Rockers.. I can relate with some of your probs that you have mentioned. Memory woeful & have to write everything down - Im blaming the meds, have to agree with lynne - a trip to the doc would be a good idea.  Wishing you well x
  • Posted

hi, i feel your pain. i suffer with terrible anxiety symptoms that seem to change every so often at the moment im suffering terribly with my vision as soon as i wake up and at night. it seems as if objects are moving and i cant focus on anything(almost like when your really drunk) anotyher example is i look up at a star at night its seems like its moving all over the place!. i get tired too it seems to come on really fast like one minute im fine then the next i feel really fatigued. my short term memory is terrible at the moment aswell thats one of the worst for me because im a digital marketing manager and i need to be switched on all the time. i suffer with terrible palpitations aswell. i know its really hard to accept it is anxiety but look at it this way when your saying the symptoms are getting worse thats what happens when your mind becomes fixated on a false problem for a period of time honestly. 

hope you found this helpul smile

• Posted

You mightr be onto something there. A couple of weeks ago I got into some real bad argument with my wife, well she ended up not speaking to me and vis versa. During that time my anxiety seemed to have shifted away from my fear of my health to the fear of my wife maybe leaving me. During that time I ddi not experience my symptoms as that bad. Well I was still tired in the morning but my memeory seemd to be not as bad and my level of focus was a swell a lot better. I do as well get periods where I ahve to cry as I really can`t cope with all this anylonger and see only the worst outcome. Right after I cried I feel a lot better but that lasts only for a short period like half a day or so. The next day I feel even worse. And it stays like that for a long time. Generlly I`ve been on a downward spiral for 18 month now.
    • Posted

hi Rockers, have you seen your doctor recently? You've mentioned that you saw a neurologist.

Have you had the standard basic tests for dementia? I doubt very much if you've got it, but nothing's impossible and the tests are pretty accurate nowadays. I'm a Dementia Nurse and after reading throough all these posts, it does seem that you 'need' to have something to worry about. please don't think I'm being disrespectful. You did say that when you were more focussed on your wife possibly leaving you, your symptoms improved. That does not happen with dementia, but as you're anxious about it, have the tests so that you can stop worrying about it.

As to the rest - well, some people are just more senssitive and anxious than others. People who don't, or haven't, experienced severe anxiety scoff at this and say unhelpful things like GET A LIFE.

I am very sorry to read in your post that you're going through this. Thomas replied to you and used the term 'false problem' which was remarkable. I'm pretty sure that this is what's wrong. i haven't got any easy answers, either, but \i can relate to you.

I got better. Don't ask me how or why, I just did. Probably the most unhelpful thing to say to someone with anxiety, but it's the truth. Face the fact that you're almost certaily worrying about nothing major and try to fight through. And please go and get the dementia tests, to get that off your worry list.

Stay with us - we're rooting for you. Love Tess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.