What does physical therapy involve following cartiva implant?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a Cartiva implant rt. great toe almost 3 months ago.   my surgeon was going to order  P.T. on my last appointment but it was cancelled due to the Houston flooding.   I was wondering what kinds of exercises / stretches would be done in P.T.    I have been walking and moving my toe back and forth although I can't curl it under much at all.   has anyone out there had P.T. for their Cartiva toe?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

on the facebook group some people posted  their exercises. standing on the edge of the stairs and lifting up on your tippy toes. pushing both hands on the wall and stretching the calves with a towel under the surgery foot.
  • Edited

I found these online

Big Toe Joint Exercises: Aim – To restore big toe joint movements

1. Seated heel raises x 20: Sit with foot flat on floor, knees bent 90⁰ keeping toes on floor, raise heel to the limit of pain and return. Bend your knee more than 90⁰ if you feel comfortable to do so, this will bend the toe more.

2. Toe lifts x 20: Sit with foot flat on floor, raise toe as far as possible to ceiling and return

3. Toe bends x 20: Sit with toes resting over the edge of a phone book, bend toes towards the floor

4. Toe pulls x 20: Pull toe up with hand to pain and hold for 3 seconds, relax

5. Toe pushes x 20: Push toe down with hand to pain and hold for 3 seconds, relax

Rehabilitation Exercises – After 1 week Post Operatively (or sooner if you are able) (5 times / day)

6. Standing both heel raises x 20: Stand close to a wall for balance, raise heels to the limit of toe pain and hold for 3 seconds

7. Standing single heel raises x 20: Stand close to a wall for balance, stand on one leg, raise heel to the limit of toe pain and hold for 3 seconds

8. Continue exercise 3, 4 and 5

Ankle and Calf Exercises: Aim – To maintain muscle tone, strength and mobility

Ankle and Calf: ankle plantar flexion (tip toe position) and dorsiflexion (bring foot up), strengthening of the peroneal muscles (bring foot out to the side)

Gait training: Optimise load distribution for the whole foot focusing on weight bearing of the first MTP (big toe) joint and hallux (big toe)

• Posted

thanks nancy0814 for your speedy response.    looks like I have work to do.  ha.

?I didn't know there was a Facebook group and I asked to join just now.   I don't feel like I'm doing as well as a lot of people.    I also had a hammertoe repair done on the second toe and I believe that impeded my progress.   thanks for all the great info.

• Posted

I am also 3 months 10 days pasr surgery and doctor didn’t order pt but a carbon mesk orthotic to put in shoe to lift the toe so idon’t have to bend it so much. Big help!

• Posted

Thank you so much Martha ...

I received my Cartiva inplant nearly three weeks ago, but wasn't advised of any specific exercises other than at 17 days I saw my consultant and he said I should be flexing the toe as much as possible to ensure the joint didn't remain stiff ...

wasn't too happy that at this point it was the first advice on what to do to help recovery, other than move the toe up and down ...

sincere thanks for posting this information, I want to be as fit as possible and will make your shared routines my bible.

Sincere thanks, greatly appreciated 🙏

• Posted

I was planning to have Cartiva implant this winter. Overall, how have the implants done? Do you consider them a success?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.