What does the smear test, test for?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm due for my second smear test this year & I'm quite nervous/anxious about it because I was knocked sick for the rest of the day.

What does the smear test actually test for?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It checks for abnormal changes in the cervical cells that could, in time, develop into cancer.

It should also detect full blown cancer. It would be unusual to develop cancer in between smears, though. Most women receive a clear result, and those who don't tend to only have pre-cancerous changes which may require some treatment or may just need to be monitored.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.