What does this mean?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had a gastroscopy and a virtual colonospy (this is a type of CT scan.)  On the colonoscopy paper they gave me at the hospital, it said to phone the consultants sec if I hadn't heard from them in 3 wks.  Last Friday the 3 wks was a few days over, so I rang the consultants sec. As he was out of the office, and my notes were in his office she said she would leave a message and ask him to ring.  At about 8.30 in the evening, he rang and said that most of the scans are good and my bowel is fine.  Then  he said that the scan had shown up a small nodule on my lung, that it had been checked and they don't think its cancer at this point,  but i need more tests and a repeat scan in 6 months and then another at 1 year to make sure it hasn't grown or changed.  I feel strange aboujt it. not really worried but not really able to forget it.  Also being rung up at such a late time, if its not anything to worry about.  I have been having slight chest pains for a couple of months,but nothing much. Anyone had a similar experience ? .

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i find it very strange that they have found a nodule on your lung based on a colonoscopy and gastroscoy as these tests are designed for the bowel and stomach respectively, unless other studies have been done as well that could have highlighted this problem. either way i think i would be wanting a few more answers to this as i dont think that that kind of information should be given out over the phone but face to face.
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,  I had a vertual colonocopy in a CT scaner and these some up other organs so that a much bigger picture can be shown.  I think my Consultant is part of a trial in using safer tecniques for tests - an ordinary colonoscopy  has its limits and problems.  I was informed about this before I agreed to it.  Thats how they found the nodule on my lung.
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear your news. I work in a large hospital in the UK. Sometimes they may do a biopsy of the tumour growth nodule etc to get a positive result of malignant (cancer) benign (non cancer). Then treat accordingly. However I have also known of patients who are similar to yourself who have regular scans to keep an eye on things. I also know that consultants can ring patients at anytime morning noon and night. My opinion from working in a hospital is this. If your consultant thought is was serious they would have definitely been in touch before 3 weeks. When scans etc are performed the results go into 2 categories. 1 = routine and 2 = urgent. I think you are in the routine category and have nothing to worry about. That is just my opinion and not a medical opion. Hope this helps. Mark

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I think you must be right.  The consultant was very open and had discussed it with another consultant, and they both feel that he will discuss more tests with me and frequent scans to check out for any changes.  I think I was quite shocked by having something unexpected.  I've never smocked, apart from the odd one at school!   I feel better about things now - hope it lasts.
  • Posted

Awhile ago I read up on CT scans of the colon versus traditional colonoscopy and the article said one of the drawbacks was finding something in other parts of the body that may have never turned into anything, but now causes undo worry for the patient. From what I read,  lung nodules are pretty common and most are benign. I'm guessing that's why they aren't treating it as urgent, but just something to watch. 
    • Posted

I seem to be the unlucky one I had a scan of my spine for arthritis and that showed damage from my hystorectomy, whcih they thought was a cyst on my overy.  I knew I didn't have my overies, and an ultra sound showed the problem was just scar tissue.  I shouldn't worry, having been through that, but  with the scar tissue, I knew it was there.
  • Posted

Hullo

ithink the others are right - too long to let you know if anything serious; as I understand it the virtual colonoscopy is comprehensive and shows up most organs.

Did you have a clear out for it please? In which case it would be a colonogram.

I find these are so harsh on my small body worse then the actual ct.

Good luck

• Posted

Yes, RVG and that was the worst part !  I had a bottle of contrast medium mixed with a laxative.  Can't remember the exact name, it began with G twice a day for 2 days before in a tumbler full of water and squash (they recommended squash!) It was foul, even with the squash!  The firs day it didn't seem to work much, but the second day wow, horrible and it lasted for severel days after the test.  I also had an injection to relax the bowel and air injected to give a better picture.  I could have had sedation, but opted not to as you had to stay for a few hours if you had that and I just wanted to go home!  It was quick easy and uncomfortable because fo the gas bloating.  That soon wore off.  If you have a chance, I'd have it done that way, but some people, I know are frightend of the scanner, but luckily I'm OK with that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.