What does this MEAN! 12 my new SED rate

Posted , 8 users are following.

I took an increased dose of pred. 30mg as I mentioned in a previous post for a short time, and then the past week have gone back to 20. Yesterday I had some blood tests and everything was low, including the SED rate, Did the pred help me that much so shortly? Strange.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Apparently yes. If you are on slightly too low a dose then the inflammation will build up - and increase the sed rate. It might only have been a mg or so too low - but eventually it accumulates. Taking more than you need should reduce the inflammation pretty quickly.

• Posted

I'm wondering also did the addition of the anti biotic have something to do with it? I took a sulfa antibiotic for a couple of weeks. She wanted me to continue it indefinitely but I think it made me have diarrhea, so I stopped it.

• Posted

It may have done - if you did have an infection. Is there not another antibiotic she could try? Just to see if abx make a difference.

• Posted

Debbiehurts, I only know from several self induced flares that once I get ahead of the inflammation the blood test are normal shortly afterwards. I think increasing and decreasing quickly is the key, not letting the inflammation get out of control. Hope the rest of your PMR journey does not have too many bumps. Try to stay active, positive with a smile. 🙂

• Posted

Eileen, I have had an idea ever since I had my second knee replacement that the MERSA I had in a nose test came back and caused infection. But it wasn't loud enough to be noticed, so I've gone this long time with it. Do you think that is possible? Just an idea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.