What does your Plantar Fasciitis feel like?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sometimes I wonder if I have plantar fasciitis. I've had foot pain for over a year, but only for a few weeks did I experience pain first thing in the morning that most ppl with plantar fasciitis have.

My pain starts after just a few minutes of standing and the soles of my feet feel like they are burning, very sore and achey. Does anyone else experience this?

I just got fitted for custom orthotics and started PT, so I'm hoping it helps,?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia, my foot with the planter fasciitis does not always hurt in the morning, I would say about half of the time. Also mine acts quite strange in that it will sometimes hurt after sitting for a while or after walking around for a while, there's no real rhyme or reason to it in my opinion. What you're describing sounds a little to me like diabetic neuropathy, although I could be very wrong I'm not a doctor. My mom has that and what you're describing is how she describes her pain. Just wanted to pass that on in case you wanted to check for that.

• Posted

Hi Julia -

Please cheeck out some of my previous posts and you will see a discussion regarding peripheral neuropathy ( may or may not be diabetic ) but that is what you most likely have. Your symptoms are very atypical for PF.

• Posted

Hi I to have had the same effect wondering if it's planters,but I doubt it. For 6 months my foot was sore in am when I got out of bed but now for the

2 1/2 years the am is the best,and as the day goes on it gets worse. Have to stop and get off my feet often. And am going to see my fourth foot doc next week. I have a full page of things I've try and many thousands of dollars latter really no farther ahead. Form physio a few times many many pairs of shoes and numerous orthotics with many adjustments. And shockwave treatment Cortisone,nerve treatment,MRI ex rays,ultra sound,acupuncture. And many more. And when I look at the minimal sucsess it seems on planters surgery,it scares me. I know this sounds not good but wondered if anyone else had any more ideas. Thanks Rod.

• Posted

Rod, I'm sorry to hear it's been going on for so long. Ugh! I hope this next foot Dr. helps!

I'm going to talk to my dr about other possible causes of my pain asap.

• Posted

Sounds like PF although it can vary from person to person. PF can be quite mild if it is mild inflammation or get very bad if there are tears in the fascia tissue.

There is also tendonitis which can appear similar to PF. The difference is that PF in mild form is most painful in the morning (due to the tissue tightening up during the night) and then gets better and may disappear during the day, however in severe cases the pain wont get better and persist for maybe days or weeks.

Tendonitis pain usually gets worse with exercise and activity and is located in the top and other parts of the foot unlike PF pain which is concentrated on the heel and arch of the foot.

You need to get a diagnosis by the doctor because treatment is different for each condition. Doing PT could make things a lot worse if you have tendonitis.

Ice baths can help in either case along with anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen, also a no-no is walking barefoot, or in slippers or soft-soled shoes.

But do get a proper diagnosis or you could be doing more harm.

• Posted

Hi David,

My primary physician says she thinks it sounds different from the classic PF and just referred me to the podiatrist who just assumed PF I think . When I saw her I didn't ask if it could be something else but I definitely will next time. I spoke with my PT who thinks my inserts were irritating my foot and causing the burning feeling. I looked into the neuropathy but it doesn't seem like that's it.

At this point my arch and heel feel bruised and sore when standing.

• Posted

Hello Julia

Sounds more like PF as pain at the heel and arch are very typical of this.

The facia is piece of strong tissue that stretched from the heel the the ball of the foot and forms the arch.  It can just get inflamed or at worse get a number of tiny tears in it - that's whenthe pain really starts!

If your Achilles tendon is too tight, it can stretch the facia and cause PF, and this can occur from stepping on high kerbs or exercise, and is why tendon stretching exercises are useful.

I wouldn't be too ready to chuck the inserts as cusioning is usually very beneficial, even if it is only gel heel inserts which can be bought cheaply on ebay.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.