What dose of magnesium do you take for SVT?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi,

i was diagnosed with SVT 5 years ago. It was very infrequent but has got worse lately. I now have a 2 year old and am pregnant with my second child. Sleep deprivation from being a Mum does seem to make it so much worse and i also have anxiety and panic disorder so am often unsure whether SVT triggers panic or other way round. For the last year i have frequently been woken from my sleep with an episode which is awful. I have read that magnesium can help - what is a safe way to start and find the correct type and dose ?

Thank you so much for your help

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I take 200 mg magnesium glycinate and take it just before bed. I have the best sleeps.

This type is the easiest on the bowels

• Posted

Definitely anxiety and panic disorder have an impact on svt as well as being sleep deprived. Check with your doctor especially now you're pregnant. Not sure if magnesium helps with svt. Do you have a cardiologist?

• Posted

Thanks, no my cardiologist told me five years ago not to come back unless it got worse. It now has so I should probably ask my GP to refer me again. Nothing was ever 'caught' on a monitor etc and it used to be only 2-3 times a year, but now its every few weeks. Panic disorder has got bad since having my first child, they tried me on antidepressants but I had the most horrific fast heart rate and increased anxiety that I couldn't cope on it and still be there for my daughter. 😦

• Posted

Anxiety and panic disorders are treatable with combined medication and therapy. Being pregnant limits what medication you can take. My daughter is currently pregnant and has an anxiety disorder as well as a mitral valve prolapse. She is allowed to take zoloft. She is getting a support team of medical and family to help her get through her pregnancy, I hope you have support too at this time. Svt, anxiety and pregnancy are all stressful. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

I swear by Magnesium to control my heart. Especially Magnesium Citrate Natural Calm. It's a powder you dissolve in hot water. One teaspoon is around 200mg. When I've needed it the most, I've taken around 1,400mg in day. That high of a dose might give you a rumbling stomach, but it also does wonders to calm the heart. If you take high doses, space them out throughout the day to minimise any effects on your tummy. And make sure not to go overboard. My daily dose is around 700 mg. It's a high dose, but I've seen many people on heart forums talk about taking anywhere from 500 to 1500 mg per day. I'd start at maybe 100, then move up to 200, then maybe 300, see how it goes. There are so many different kinds of magnesium and citrate is known to cause diarrhoea in some people, it doesn't do that for me, but if you're concerned about that you could look into sth like Magnesium Taurate or L-Threonate which are said to have fewer side effects. In any case, magnesium was a complete game-changer for me.

• Posted

And just to clarify, I also take a beta blocker and calcium channel blocker for my SVT. I once stopped taking Magnesium for three days just to see how it would affect me. I had an SVT on the third day, even though I was still taking my prescriptions. So, at least in my case, Magnesium has been an immense help. Maybe I just had a deficiency, but so many people report feeling better when taking it, so I think it's definitely legit. You might also want to look into taking Potassium.

• Posted

wow I take 250 a day and it's not helping and I was told you wasnt allowed to take more than im sure its 350 for a woman is it safe to take more

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.