What dose should I take to stop withdrawal symptoms?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I stupidly stopped taking Lexapro (10mg) abruptly and now have flu like symptoms and dizziness. I want to start over and try to wean myself off, but in the meantime I want to relieve my symptoms as quickly as possible. I took a 10mg Lexapro pill a few hours ago and am not feeling better - would taking another 10mg speed the symptom reduction process? Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

How many days have you been without Lexapro? I think taking consecutive dosages can lead to more harm than good. Take 10 mg a day until you feel better, and maybe take some over the counter meds to relieve the flu-like symptoms. And please please talk to your doctor.

I've never abruptly quit antidepressants, no matter how good I felt. Everyone warns you that you shouldn't, and I heard all the horror stories.

• Posted

Unfortunately, starting up again (even if you were off them just a few days) is going to make all the side effects come back again. Taking another pill will not speed up the symptom reduction process; it would actually make your side effects worse.

?You'll just have to give the pills a few weeks to start working again, and for the side effects to go away.

?Sometimes, when people go back on these meds, they find the dose they were on before not as effective the second time around. If you are still having issues in 8 weeks, you might want to visit your doctor and see about upping your dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.