What else can go wrong?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had TKR September 14 2015, Nov 2 2015 had MUI, been doing the P/T for 4 months & going to the gym. Now the problem is that my knee ROM is about 75-80, knee is stiff with little to no pain. Went to see the doctor, 2 days ago, said that my body make a lot of scar tissue to fast, stuck a needle in my knee to check for infection, I hope that not the case. If its a build up of scar tissue what could be done, have anybody experience this?

Need help or some kind of feedback.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If its really serious the may talk about doing a surgery that loosens the tissue from the bone. They may discuss a more intensive physical therapy. Scar tissue is probably one of the biggest unknowns with knee surgery as everyone produces it differently. When I had the prosthesis removed becaus of staph and had to have my leg immobilized for several months I had a lots of scar tissue and while putting in the new knee he went in and as I referred to it, fileted the tissue from the bone. I am assuming some of this can be done with a scope but physical therapy becomes a necessity at some point.
  • Posted

Hi

I had my second TKR in Sept 2014.  Within months I was having problems straightening it.  I had an MUA, but could still not straighten it.  My consultant advised me that it was excess scar tissue, but that I would need to have it removed at the year stage, which I did.  The knee was opened up again and recovery has been almost the sMe as after the initial operation.  Now 3 months on, my bend is good, but I'm struggling a bit keeping it straight again.  I have rented a CPM machine though.  Hope that helps you.

Patsy

• Posted

What is an MUA?
    • Posted

Manipulation under anesthesia to break up scar tissue which is too painful to do yourself.
    • Posted

You should only need it once. It is not just for the scar tissue.  The manipulation is to bend the knee.  They always do it before they bring you round from the original operation. When they manipulate it is also the tendons and muscles that are affected

• Posted

hi  i had  knee replaced 3rd dec as of last week 115/120 bend straight  leg  and muscle strength  too .,can do 10 min on bike thing .whats wrong with yours drs  say

i hope it works out for  you. my scar is doing well  all healed  but i have  pain  some yet

• Posted

Mamabear, sounds like we are at similar points. I had left knee TKR on 11/30 so just passed the five week mark. Reached 123 on flexion, got a ways to go on straightening. I can do the 10 min on the bike and 30 reps of 120 pounds on the press. Some pain but not as bad as before. We'll get there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.