What else can i do?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all

I was diagnosed with graves disease august 2018 after being hospitalised with high heart rate (180bpm while sleeping). My FT4 was over 100 (range 9-25).

I was put on 20mg carbimazole and that got me within range within 3 months.

I went into remission (with negative TRAb) in February 2020 after a lot of ups and downs.

I decided to try and get pregnant (through IVF) but we unfortunately miscarried in September which sent me slightly hyper again.

I was put on PTU but my levels kept rising, despite dosage increases.

In January 2021, my FT4 was 46 and my endocrinologist decided to switch me back to carbimazole (30mg) and said to hold off trying to get pregnant.

In February, my FT4 went down to 33, so better but still out of range. Endo increased carb to 40mg.

My latest result on 1st March showed FT4 was 23 so back in range.

Endo wanted to keep me on the 40mg but I was worried this would send me hypo so we agreed on 30mg as this was helping before.

My TSH has been undetectable (0.01) since September.

Since January, I have been taking the following supplements: vitamin D, magnesium, K2, selenium, B12, folate and an iodine free prenatal (which I stop a week before blood tests as it contains biotin).

I also took 500mg of regular L-carnitine for a month before switching to 500mg acetyl L-carnitine about a week ago (I have taken 1000mg a day a couple of times). I read this could be really helpful in stabalising free T's and upping TSH.

I get my bloods done every 4 weeks so I'm hoping this will be enough to stay on top of any changes and adjust accordingly.

I also drink lemon balm tea throughout the day and take bugleweed and motherwort tinctures.

I was wondering if I was doing the right thing? I feel like the last 2-3 years has been me advocating for myself as endo just looks at numbers rather than how I feel and what I want.

Does anybody have any advice?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.