What else can I do for my constipation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello brave people and hemorrectomy patients. I say brave because this is not an easy surgery. I am now 9 days out from surgical removal of several hemorrhoids. I am in the bath while writing this. I had no idea that this would be so painful and difficult to manage! My heart goes out to all of you.

I am drinking close to a gallon of water a day and have been taking stool softeners but still, I think I am constipated. I have eaten very little since the surgery: banana, white rice, protein shake. I do expel with great pain, a small bit of stool but not much. I added Miralax today and will take it again tonight. After one week of over the counter stuff, Tylenol and Ibuprophen, I started taking 2.5 mg of hydrocodene every four hours. I feared taking this the first week due to the possibility of constipation.

Honestly I am not sure what is going to happen next. I am doing everything that my doctor's nurse advises. I am very worried. I am a 69 year old female who developed hemorrhoids during childbirth. Any advice that you have will be appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Eating very little is said to be one of the many causes of constipation. Try eat more and give it some time.

• Posted

just had surgery 5 days ago Iam not coulping well as of now every time i walk a little I have to poop just a blob comes out and the pain ome any tips

• Posted

I had my surgery 10 days back. It is still burning pain, but goes away with OTC pain killers. Sleeping at night is hard, and I need to go to the toilet frequently, which causes more pain. I am taking paracetomol for pain.

For constipation, for the first 4 days, my bowels did not move. Only on the fourth day it started moving painfully. I still have to go many times a day and have to strain a bit since I have stenosis (narrowing of the anal canal).

I also had problems urinating, since my sphincter did not relax to pass on urine. I still have to go bent down, standing.

What I found is drinking a lot of water helped, even though it does cause you to urinate more.

I found bananas helped - 3, 4 of them got the bowels moving.

Fiber supplements help. Mainly the goal is to keep the stool soft even if it means more bowel movements, I think

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.