What else is there for severe pain?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've just managed to come off Tramadol after a year of use, I'm still getting withdrawals but they are getting less. But I'm worried - what can I take next time I have a flare-up (I've got Ankylosing Spondylitis)? Tramadol took a lot of the pain away and made me sleep, at first anyway. I think all the other drugs addictive too? Please let me know if you have any ideas, thanks. 

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Same here! Ive been given Pregabalin and Nortriptyline but luckily havent had a flare up so long may that last!
  • Posted

how did you get of the tramadol did you take somthing else , im very plaesed you are off them i so need want to get of them i am on 6 sometimes 8 a day and dont need to take them .
    • Posted

Well, I read all the advice on this site and very gradually reduced them, waiting till I could cope with the withdrawals at each dose before reducing further. Even though I'm off them now, I'm still getting hot flushes and feeling jittery in the evening and not getting much sleep, but I think it will take a few more weeks to be 'normal' again. Please read all the advice about tapering your dose and good luck with your efforts.
  • Posted

I want to stop taking them also but I am afraid of doing it because my body aches so bad every morning until they kick in... do you have aches when you stopped taking them? 
    • Posted

If you need them for pain, carry on taking them - I just carried on taking them when I felt better because I didn't realise about all the problems and they do make you feel better in your head. 
    • Posted

Definitely dont stop if you need them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.