What exactly do blood tests show?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been on 15mg pred for 3 weeks now (PMR). I have an appointment for a blood test on 20th August, and a phone appointment with a GP on 21st - I assume to discuss reducing the pred. I assume the blood test will be to check for ESR and CRP levels - but what exactly are they?! I know vaguely that they measure inflammation, but that's all. 

If my inflammation markers are down, does it mean that the polymyalgia is lessening, or does it mean that the pred has reduced the inflammation? If my inflammation markers aren't down, can I still start to reduce the pred by a tiny amount? (Psychologically, it would boost me to reduce it by even 0.5mg!) I'm not getting any pain now (for a while I still had stiffness and slight pain in my hands in the mornings) so that's a good sign. 

When I had the first blood tests, I didn't think to ask the GP for detailed results - he just said my inflammation markers were up; but this time I'll be sure to ask for details.

Thank you in advance - you're all so helpful & knowledgeable here! 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi when I first started with PMR I was confused with all the blood tests, but after finding this site, and all the great people here I found out about blood tests, and also I was told to get a copy of any blood tests I had done, four years on and two days after my bloods have been taken I go to my doctors and as the receptionist to print a copy for me. I can then keep a check on my ESR/CRP, and take this with me when I go see my rhymi  I case I have a problem in understanding , and I must say they do help me and never comment on why I do this.

so maybe you could do this, but some one will come along and tell you more info who are better knowledgeable than me.

best wishes

• Posted

You are not reducing relentlessly to zero, you are looking for the lowest dose of pred that manages the daily dose of new inflammation....A quote from a recent posting by Eileen.  I had to read it two or three times to really get its meaning.  Pred does not “cure” PMR, it only minimizes the symptoms.  PMR has to run its course (whatever duration that is) whether or not you take pred.  Find out the minimum level of pred that manages your symptoms, and live with it until it moves on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.