What exactly happens to your face after botox?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am booked for botox soon and would like to know what are the effects after the proceedure, e.g. are you left with a wide eyed stare or a droopy lid, how long does it take for this to go back to a normal looking? As you can see I am now getting rather desperate, the neurologist has not got back to me, had my MRI scan on the 11 March 2015 but prior to this they had already booked botox, I thought I would at least be contacted in plenty of time, so the surgeon and I could discuss this.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gwen, I've had botox twice now and have had no problems of droop at all.  The trick is not to go any lower than your cheek, ie don't get any injections round your mouth.  If you stick to this code, you won't go far wrong.  People seem to experience the lop sidedness of mouth/face when they are injected around the mouth.  I was warned I might have a side effect of my eyelid not closing, but that hasn't happened.  I started off on low dose and am keeping to that for now.  Only thing I have had on second go was some bruising, but I put that down to talking non-stop through injections with nerves, and that makes your face move, so I think that caused it.  Please don't be afraid of botox, it has brought me huge relief.
    • Posted

Thanks so much Sharon, I was really worried, I have a function to attend and I thought it might be better, having no spasms while there, but the risk would have been the side effects from the botox.  Please don't think me vain, I just want some sort of relief, although my spasms don't happen every 5 minutes, as sure as eggs is eggs, most times I start speaking the tics start,when at home, I don't really worry about it. When I go to bed it's on the go till I am fast asleep.  I am so greatful for your reply. 
  • Posted

Hi Gwen.  I agree with what Sharon has written below; it worked well for me until I had Botox in the mouth area.   The secret seems to be that your practitioner should build up the dose very gradually and not 'go for broke' the first time.  Much better to have less than you actually need and see a small improvement than to have too heavy a dose and then be 'frozen'.  The other thing I would advise is taking a video of your spasms (on your phone perhaps?) so that you can show it to the surgeon.  The surgeon needs to see how you are BEFORE Botox not whilst you have it in the system.
    • Posted

Thanks Angela, this is a thing that has been on my mind and I have already cancelled 3 times, the neurologist is taking his time getting back to me so phoned to find out the results, the first time they would give me the results and said I had to wait it out till the neurologist came back to me, then last week I called again and asked if I could bring forward my botox till I got the chance to have the op, something I would really like to talk to the neuro about.
  • Posted

Gwen, please don't ever think you are vain, I know Ange will agree with me here, this is your face, not a pimple on your arm you can cover with long sleeves, it is out there on show to everyone and we are always very conscious of anything that we perceive to make us stand out.  I felt very shallow when I was talking to my neurologist about my condition, but I don't anymore.  It is natural for anyone to feel self conscious with this horrible condition.  I am still considering MVD in the future, but for now, whilst my children are coming up to exams etc, I don't want them worrying about me and having a major op, so keeping to the botox for now.  Best of luck sweetheart, I keep praying for the miracle 100% cure-all for all of us x
    • Posted

Couldn't agree more Sharon.  Lovely to hear from you and pleased that you're getting on with life with the help of the Botox.  Time enough to think about surgery when and if the need arises.  And Gwen.....    I quite understand your frustration with all this waiting around.  If the neurologist had to put up with something like this then I am sure he would be wanting a much quicker and more empathetic response himself!  You are not at all vain; you're entirely normal.  Anything which affects your face and your ability to project your true personality is a BIG DEAL and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  Hope you hear soon.
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon, your words mean a great deal to me, I felt so alone even though I know that you and Ange are out there, I will see how it goes and like you everyday I keep hoping they'll come up with something new. Lots of love Gwen

• Posted

Ange, thanks I don't know what I do with out you 2, it's good that we are all there for each other at times like these, the fact that you have also told me that botox is ok for now, means a lot and I am greatful to both you and Sharon for helping me out at a time like these, give me the reassurance that I am normal and that I should go with the flow for now.

Love Gwen. 

• Posted

Sorry for the errors in my typing.
    • Posted

Ange, lovely to talk to you too.  As much as I love the HFS Support Group, I sometimes get very overwhelmed with it, so I've taken a bit of a backseat from it.  As you know, I got myself in a right state with anxiety last year over this crappy condition and I am trying to stay positive, so Gwen, I know exactly how you feel.  I wish I had a magic wand to take it away forever, but that isn't going to happen, but for now, botox will give us some relief, and we have MVD if and when the time comes, or maybe another solution that comes up in the meantime, we can live in hope.  Lots of love to you both and anyone else battling with this daily x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your positive words Sharon, you are so right. x

wink

• Posted

Thanks Shaz.  I think you're right to take a back seat from the other group if it's making you more anxious.  These groups can be massively helpful but can get to be an obsession if you're not careful!!!   Take it from one who knows, ha ha.
    • Posted

Thank you Gwen.  Going with the flow and taking one day at a time is the way to go.  And Botox is certainly a good helper which should give you some hope of a quieter face and easier life.  All the very best to you , love Ange

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.