What exactly is this? I don't think it's anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone. Male, turning 20 this year. For the past few years I have been suffering with chronic fatigue with severity on and off. This had affected me to quite a degree in my studies, causing me to drop out once as I couldn't cope with the unwellness as well as the anxiety. Saw several doctors over the course of the years, Neurologist, Gastroenterologist, etc. Done many blood tests, MRI(one done recently a few months back), found nothing and was told it was all in my head. I can't even fathom how is that even possible. Recently I had a bout of stomachache and diarrhea for 3 days, went to the ER yesterday. The doctor dismissed as anxiety and told me it's probably just in my head as I looked fine to him. I couldn't believe my ears. He didn't even seem to be taking me seriously as I was only 20. However to be fair I do have a record of anxiety disorders and depression in my medical history. However, it's true that I feel unwell... Where should I go to continue searching to alleviate my symptoms...? I'm lost...

Here are my list of symptoms:

Chronic fatigue(ranging from mild to severe randomly)

IBS

Brain fog

Random pains in muscles/joints sometimes

Constant tremors

Impaired cognitive abilities, can't react to things in a normal speed, reacts really slow

Stomach aches

Nausea

Rapid heartbeat

Please, just any answer would be very much appreciated... I can't stand all these any much longer. It's affecting my social life and made me very much more depressed that I can't find the solution. I visit the therapist on a monthly basis, helps to an extent but ultimately the physical symptoms are not alleviated. Thanks for reading, any comments would be greatly appreciated! Could it be deadly disease?? I'm feeling really paranoid and worried about this... D:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you want to get checked for something get checked for a condition I just recently got diagnosed with. I've had Anxiety, Depression and Chronic Fatigue for the past 25 years. Then more recently I began getting the Brain Fog, IBS, Muscle/Joint pain, back and leg pains. I went to every kind of doctor imaginable and they all said the same thing. You're a healthy male with no problems.

Then about a year ago I finally found the answer I've been looking for for so long. I went in for what I thought was an unrelated vein procedure and the Interventional Radiologist told me I had severe compression of my Left Iliac Vein (May-Thurner Syndrome). He placed a stent and almost overnight every single problem disappear. It turns out this condition is known to cause Extreme Fatigue, Anxiety, and Depression. The problem is if you don't develop blood clots and your leg doesn't swell 3 times it's normal size then no doctor would think of this condition. But it very well may be what you have going on. If so, a simple stenting procedure could give you great relief from your problems. An Interventional Radiologist or Vascular Surgeon might be a good doctor to go see as many doctors don't even know what this condition is let alone the many problems it can cause. Hope this might help! It's taken doctors 25 years to figure out I had this condition.

• Posted

Aww i really feel for you, both me and my 40 year old son have been diagnosed with cfs chronic fatigue syndrome also known as M.E. The only way one can come to a diagnose of this is by having tests which rule out other things like they did with my son a few weeks back now.  Dont you belive it, its all your in your mind.  rolleyes Honestly its not.  And thats a very cruel and unhelpfull remark too. My son had gone from a very healthy young man, went down the gym, did running, could lift things without any bother to a feeling unwell, flu like symptoms, aching legs and generally very lethargic, exhausted doing the smallest of things, feeling tired all the time, yes the brain fog as well. presume you have had all blood tests to rule out thryoid gland problems, are your testerone levels ok?   With me i get the nausea which by the way is one of the symptoms as well.  The rapid heart beat your getting is probably due to anxiousness through lack of a proper diagnoses causing your mind to work overtime wondering what on earth is wrong with you.  Sounds like you have one of them drs that arnt open to the M.E. one hear.  Maybe you should change doctors or get a second opinion.   The other possibilty if your symptoms could be a condition called candida, look it up on google, similar symptoms as well. I was diagnosed with this too but not by a gp but paid to see a kenesiology lady who diagnosed me.  Need to cut out sugar, yeast, white flour white pasta and any sugary foods. No bread if its candida and drink plenty of water too.   Alchohol as well im afraid.  Take a good probiotic daily too,   Who suggested you see a therapist and why? sorry if thats a to personal question.   Im sure your get more responce drom others, hope you can sort this and to some degree get rid. Candida is easier to get rid than ME.    

Sue 

• Posted

Hi Kingflame,

I'm so sorry about what you are going through and completely understand your frustrations. I'm also so sorry to hear how young you are! I was diagnosed in my late 20s. My daughter has very similar symptoms to mine; they started when she was abou 16. Fortunately, she is able to attend college full time, but she takes naps during the day and only is social when she has to be. I'm the same way. 

I have many of the same symptoms that you are describing along with anxiety. But, do not let anyone tell you that this is in your head! It's not. I do find that a low dose tricyclic antidepressant helps to promote REM sleep improving my symptoms slightly. Also, pacing myself, avoiding stress, and low intensitity aerobic excersise help me most days but not all! Unfortunately, my symptoms fluctuate and are unpredictable. 

Someone posted information on a syndrome called Nutcracker Syndrome or May-Thurner Syndrome on this forum a few days ago. He said he had been misdiagnosed for many years, and once they diagnosed him, they were able to treat him. Since you are experiencing stomach aches, nausea, and constant tremors, I would look into this condition. I was shocked to read about it. Not saying that your symptoms are related to this, but it is worth reading about. 

My heart goes out to you, especially since you are still so young. Hope you find some anwers, but don't let anyone tell you that this is your anxiety causing these symptoms. Hope your parents are being supportive. Good luck. KPD

• Posted

Thank You KPD!

In Addition to May-Thurner Syndrome, the Nutcracker Syndrome should also be checked for, at least to rule these conditions out. They are very similar conditions and can cause many of the same problems. There has been a lot of information associating the Nutcracker Syndrome (Left Renal Vein Compression) to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome over the past 5-10 years.

Search: Nutcracker Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue together in the same search and you'll likely find many articles showing how NCS can cause chronic fatigue and every symptom associated with chronic fatigue. Here's some symptoms associated to the Nutcracker Syndrome from an article written over ten years ago:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Orthostatic Intolerance

Autonomic Dysfunction

Severe Gastrointestinal Symptoms

Tachycardia

Headaches

Migraines

Abdominal Pain

Nausea

Dizziness

Fainting

Unrefreshing Sleep

Muscle/Joint Pains

Sore Throat

Low-Grade Fever

Chills

Anxiety

Depression

While many doctors still believe that ME/CFS and related symptoms are "all in your head", some doctors (Vascular Surgeons and Interventional Radiologists) are doing some amazing things with angioplasty and stenting of veins for these rarely diagnosed conditions. It's possible that if you do have either May-Thurner Syndrome or Nutcracker Syndrome or both of these conditions a simple stenting procedure could give you great relief from your problems. Hope this might help!

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.