what exercises can I do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I am 9 days post op after having both feet done.  My legs are getting really weak from not walking and I can feel the pounds piling on. Can anyone give me any tips on how to exercise whilst on the sofa? I get up for five minutes most hours for a little walk but that is it.  The boredom is making food really tempting. HELP smile

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

11/7/2014

Had both my bunions removed plus bilateral hammer toes correction on Wednesday 9th July 2014. So day 3 for me today. My feet are very swollen & painful plus the boredom is getting to me & found this web site which is great for information & to hear & share others experiences. I am also concerned about weight gain as only came back from holiday last weekend & have a husband who is being very kind by feeding me - oh dear I'm going to be the size of a house.  But feeling a little fed up & good food helps at Keats I can't have any wine due to the painkillers

• Posted

Like you I am a little bit concerned about the weight gain but moderation seems to be the key.  Your body needs energy to recover and now isn't the time to make yourself even more miserable because of hunger. I'm eating more fruit than I usually would and find popcorn is a great low calorie snack as it feels like you are eating  more than you are. I have cut down on portion sizes as I find little and often works better for me. Hubby deserves a medal for all the cooking and cleaning he as done.  One last snacking tip: dark chocolate and raisins.  Lower in calories and rich so you don't want to eat too much.  The raisins help.  Not sure I spelt that right - but you know what I mean smile
    • Posted

I like the sound of dark chocolate & raisins - your right our bodies do need energy. Keep up the good work to a successful recovery 
    • Posted

Karen..

I luv a little glass of Chocovine ... Dutch chocolate with red wine. Available at most grocery stores.

cheesygrin

• Posted

Now your talking this is my type of medicine thank you! Just need someone to shop for me x
    • Posted

Hi Karen ,

order on line... Hee he!  Hope u r well.

blessings

HOPE confused

• Posted

Karen.. I am very sorry to hear of UR pain today. Take a hot bath soak away with a bit of Epsom salts to lesson inflammation,with lavender oils, lovely scented candles to helprelax. First take Tylenol/tramodal or Excredrin for arthritis .. They both cut down swelling and pain. When it is really bad I eat a bit if chocolate the chemical in it has that feel good hormone that mimics the hormones in the brain for relief.  What is better than knowing chocolate has the perfect hormone for a perfect fix to feeling better.

let me know how UR doing today.

many blessings sent UR way..

CHEERS

HOPE confused

• Posted

I'm only day 5 post op, can't get  my bandages wet so no bath or shower yet just washing. Not a great feeling but have to be good.  Iv been on my own all day as husband working till 8pm & I don't live near family & friends. Probably done a little too much - feeling sorry for myself but tomorrow I will be good again x the chocolate sounds good but can't get to a shop sad

Thanks for your advice x

• Posted

Hi Karen

Hang on in there as I am sure it will get better. I know how you feel as my husband had to leave the house at 6:45 and not return until gone seven when I was 5 days post op. Thankfully he has worked from home the last few days.  I found that it really takes it out of you just making a cup of coffee and something easy like making a sandwich seems like a complicated balancing act that leaves you feeling like you have run a marathon.

As for day time tv its enough to drive you insane. Box sets have kept me amused as if you get into a good series they can fill most of the day. This forum has helped a lot. It's been great to read and share experiences in between box sets films and storage hunters (the worst tv ever, but strangely addictive). I think the key is to try and stay busy watching things and reading, but it is tough. Maybe you could make a list of people you could email that you have not spoken to for a while and send them all an update.  May break the day up if you start to get replies to read.  There are also lots of forums all over the internet on so many different topics that maybe you can join a few and chat about things that interest you.  Some games can be quite addictive too and take your mind off things.  Some of my favourite time zapping games are:

Plants Vs Zombies

Bejewelled

Simms

Lara Croft

Soldier of Fortune

You could also plan a spa day on the sofa. Give your face and hands a nice massage, do your nails and put on your favourite makeup.  May make you feel better and take your mind off things.

above all else, remember every day is a day closer to full recovery and feet that look better and don't cause you pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Forgot to say... internet shopping. Have you heard of Approved Food. You can order food like chocolate at bargain prices.
    • Posted

Good morning Deni! Thank you so much for all you advice it really keeps me going. Iv had a fab nights sleep got myself into a dress instead if nightwear. Feeling good only had paracetamol - Iv bottom  shuffled downstairs - as I opened the fridge to get milk for my Cereal my crutch fell onto my left foot OUCH!!! Its throbbing like crazy but it's making me laugh as you could not write the scene. A fly on the wall documentary in my house would make good daytime tv. I'm in position for the day very tempting to look for chocolate on Approved food but Ned to be careful due to inevitable weight gain. Wishing you a relaxing Tuesday - keep them feet up!!! X
    • Posted

OH Goodness Karen!

it all started so well too smile  I have had a couple of near misses when dropping my crutches but so far so good.  Isn't it amazing how simple things like getting something from the fridge turns into an extreme sport. Hope your foot has stopped hurting now! 

I have to admit  you have made me laugh, although I am ashamed of myself for my lack of compassion here smile

Take care and beware of killer crutches... they're out to get you, Steven King style smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.