What finally is working for me!

Posted , 31 users are following.

A couple months ago I read someone said that taking antihistamine worked for them - I tried it! It's working! I have had granuloma annulare for 10 years on my hands and arms. I have tried the shots, the oral drugs, the lotions, gluten free, certain vitamins nothing worked. I have now been on 10mg antihistamine for almost two months all spots are gone with the last two finally fading and going away! Good news is you can get antihistamine over the counter I take only one a day. Totally excited! That's it! Try it & yes I have missed a few days here and there. I hope that some of you that have also tried everything else, really give this a go for a few months. I hope you get the same results!

6 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Interesting and thanks for this info. What antihistamine worked for you Darlene?
  • Posted

What ones are you using? I live in the UK and after living with this unsightly condtion for 10 yrs, i am willing to try anything. It did get better and completely cleared during my pregnancy a couple of yrs ago, but now it has returned with a vengance and is worse than ever😢 Willing to try anything at this point! X

• Posted

Hannah, exactly the same for me! Cleared during my first pregnancy, then back with a vengeance afterwards then stayed the same during my second pregnancy. Was really hoping it would clear again sad

• Posted

I just found this forum and I have read through a few writings. I have had GA for about a year and a half. At first it was a small lesion on my leg that I thought was just a little rash, it took awhile to begin to lookj different and spread, Now I have this ugly rash all over my back and mostly left leg and left are and left side of torso. Its extremely emmbarrasing especially beacause I was dating at the time it started to break out. I wear longer sleeves and and nothing too short as now to show. I tried all those darn creams but it really different seem to work much. Now it is starting to heal a little and no new bumps... I just was put on light therapy today, three times a week so well see. Plus I have used a tanning bed for that past year and not sure if that helped??? Any other info anyone has I would appreciate it. One person I just read said antiistimine worked?? I might try just for the hell of it.. Can't hurtsad(   I pray something works.... 

• Posted

This sounds promising! Just went to dermatologist and he injected the rash with cortisone from a syringe.  This is the only thing that works for me.  The cream is not strong enough. It has been 4 years since my last break out. 
  • Edited

I take Benadryl 25mg every night and I've had GA for 6 years on my legs. I'm going to switch to loratidine and hopefully it will clear up!

• Edited

I started light treaments about 8 wks ago, and It is for sure helping and  they are healing, I am using a good moisturizer and essential oils to keep soft. Hpefully this crap will go into remission cause it sucks to have this all over the body..
  • Posted

Hey darlene is your GA still gone? What type of GA did u have? I have the raised bumps one

• Posted

Ive been struggling with this for 2 years I started the claritin and I am more than 70 percent better in one week My legs and arms almost look normal

Thank you for your post

• Posted

I already take (with my doc's okay) 2 different generic antihistamines, loratadine and cetirizine, for allergies. Sadly, they do nothing at all to alleviate my GA 😦. It makes me wonder if the type of GA one has could account for treatments that work for some, but not for others? I've had GA for at least 7 years. Mine seems to show up on or around joints. Showed up first over two finger joints on my left hand. They faded away after a few months, and I sort of forgot about it. Months later a large ring of them appeared around and above my rt elbow. They are raised, reddish, and somewhat tender, especially if they get bumped or leaned on. They tend to begin to fade, then come right back, but they've been there for at least 5 years. More than once, I have thought "Oh, good... they're going away!!!!!", only to have them get worse again. About a year ago, I developed a large ring of them on and above my right knee. A few days ago I noticed that I am developing a couple of "welts" next to my left elbow. So discouraging. In addition, I deal with another rare skin disorder called Lichen Aureus, on my shins. Because of that, I only wear shorts when home alone, and short sleeves only if I wear a bandage over the GA welts on my elbow 😦.

I'm so very happy for any of you who have found something that works for you. It means there's hope!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.