What food to avoid when you have Henoch-Schonlein Purpura?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 50 years and been diagnosed with HSP last September. I had red rashes all over my legs and doctor thought, it was allergy. I carried on with the rashes and abdominal pain. Rashes when to full blown and doctor referred me to dermatologist after 3 weeks as I kept seeing her every 4 days and always raised my concern. Upon seeing dermatologist, she knew immediately...HSP. I was given Prednisolone and until now I am still on Prednisolone because every time dermatologists will taper my Prednisolone , new rashes will erupt. I had diarrhea and even passed out bloody stool. All laboratories were normal and occult blood in my stool was negative. I have still the rashes (old and new) and I am on Prednisolone 5mg now and steroid cream.

Now my problem is I cannot eat anything except fish and vegetables. As I read the thread here, I have learned that dairy, chocolate and alcohol are a big no no. What else to avoid? Any suggestions on how to cope up with this HSP? Hoping I will get an answer and I will be enlighten of this HSP.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i also have hsp and was desperate to do more than just take the pills described. i do as much gentle exercise as i can and followed the aip diet last year. it has a 6 week elimination phase and then you reintroduce various foods. ive found i am sluggish after eating wheat and potatoes most of the time so now i avoid them. and i cook as much food from scratch as i can. less preservatives and the more whole foods the better for me at least. good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I have flare when I tried eating meat and poultry. I can only eat fish and vegetable without flare. Worst with mushroom. I'm now on my 6th week of hsp and now dermatologist changed my Prednisolone to colchicine 500mcg twice a day. Hope this will work for me.

• Posted

Avoid SALT at all costs! Drink plenty of water. Seriously 64 ounces a day. I'm glad you posted this because it was a refresher on nutrition and HSP.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. Yah I hydrate myself. I noticed I had a bad flare up with mushroom and nuts. Why I asked on foods because I have a hard time to look for other alternative foods as only fish and purely vegetables my body can tolerate without flare up. I still have a bit of rashes together with the old scar. Hope this will go away as I am on my 6th weeks now.

• Posted

Look into the AIP diet it has a large list of what is safe to eat with an autoimmune disease.

• Posted

Hello Mary.

Can you tell me please how long symptoms of HSP and rash kept on your body? Is it true that diet and non salty food helps? I'm worried.

Hope you will answer me soon!

Big hello from Bosnia and Herzegovina

Sadin

• Posted

My son have hsp for three years now and it's not going away. Sometimes, it's flare up really bad that he cant even walk. Our doctor never mention to us about food might cos to flare more but reading all you guys reply here does make sense. We are tired of this and dont really know what to do anymore . please help with any suggest you guys gave that might help him. He just turn 18th and will starts college soon. I want this to go away!

• Edited

Wow , I am currently in hospital after developing HSP. I am a 54 year old male.Presented with purple rash and stomach pain. Am on 45mg of Presnidone a day. Had rash and stomach pain for two weeks before correctly diagnosed. Asked Dermatologist if I needed a special diet and he said no. I have been happily adding salt to my hospital l food. I was under the impression that a few days in hospital followed by four weeks of treatment and life will return to normal...... Was i being naive? I still believe was caused by a prolonged period of high stress at work though doctors don't agree.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.