What foods are triggering flare ups?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had AS for some time now but as I get older my flare ups are becoming increasingly more frequent. Can anyone please advise if there are any particular foods that they knowingly cause flare ups and what I should be staying away from eating?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've found too many refined carbohydrates to be a trigger for me ,.

• Posted

My son has AS. He found following a plant based diet worked for him. 
  • Posted

Hi there, 

I've just begun to treat my AS inflammation with diet but have been following Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory diet. You can find the link here: https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/anti-inflammatory-diet-pyramid/dr-weils-anti-inflammatory-diet/

Other members have said they had good luck with cutting out all dairy and starch. I've cut back on dairy but haven't completely stopped. I try to avoid starchy foods or anything processed. I recently started eating salmon and tuna regularly (and taking fish oil) and I did notice less pain. I don't eat any other meats and I hear red meats, in particular are bad for inflammation. 

• Posted

I myself haven't noticed a correlation with food, but since I have gone through menopause, I have gotten so much worse.  They say females react differently than males with AS.  I'm wondering if female hormones help keep AS from releasing its full fury in the early years in life.  I'm suffering with both peripheral and axial AS.

• Posted

I think hormones play a role. Mine was much more severe during pregnancy
  • Posted

I cut Gluten, dairy, bananas and red meat. I also don't eat citrus fruit. I could never tolerate it even before AS. And trying to stay away from sugar.

Fish oils, magnesium oil and vitamin D help me and I also take two turmeric a day now and a pro-biotic. I also drink a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water every day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.