What foods can we eat please ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi what foods can we eat if we want to reduce fatty liver levels ? I really dont know as my doctor not given any advice apart from lose weight. I gather its a case of reduce sugar and fats but if i have to reduce carbs as well dont know what i will be left with that ok to eat ? Any advice or recipes appreciated thanks.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have fatty liver and told to lose weigh

I have cut sugar & salt low fat foods.

I eat plenty of salads fresh fruit and veg, lean meat.

I don't eat cakes, sweets , chocolate.

so far I haven missed anything sweet.

Although I treat myself to 2 or 3 rich tea biscuits.

I am losing weight slowly.

Try the nhs site for eating plan, they are very good.

Hope this helps a little. Holly

• Posted

Thank you Holly, i have already stopped eating sweets and chocolate. I will have to give the salad a miss though as for some reason it always gives me indigestion. I always cut fat off meat as dont like it, so will have extra veg with my meals. 

Best wishes, Frances

• Posted

Hi sunnI

The site I follow is www.nhs-live well-weigh loss.

Also for advice and help HealthUnlocked

Holly

• Posted

Try  putting your salad in the microwave for 30 secs.  Sounds weird but it might help.  Otherwise, make a salad of cooked veges.
  • Posted

Carbs are a misnomer as it includes all vegetables and grains.  You need to eliminate the starchy ones, i.e. all forms of potatoes, corn, rice, pasta, breads (unless they are the seediest, nutiest, least flour and corn, and look like sweepings off the floor!), root veges that grow under the ground.  Although I find beetroot has such good properties and supposed to be good for liver, so I eat those.  I do have burgen's soy and linseed bread, but only at breakfast, and only when bread can't be avoided.

Starches are really sugar in disguise.  Otherwise lots greens (and whites like cauli, fennel, onion, celeriac, etc.).  Google if unsure.  I avoid all grains as even though some are claimed to be high in protein, if you look at their carb/starch/sugar content, it is higher than the protein.  Besides, they make me bloated.

Don't forget fruits and fruit juices are full of sugar - I usually have some at breakfast so I can work it off during the day.  I have protein with each meal and snack if I can, i.e. nuts, cheese, small can of tuna, etc.  Although I rarely need to these days.  Protein helps with weight loss and reduces any feelings of hunger, and necessary for your muscles.

And good oils, like extra virgin olive oil -  drizzle some on your veges, avocado, coconut oil (although some maintain it is not), flaxseed oil on your salad.

If you find some of these hard to give up because it is habitual and you can't  even imagine giving up potatoes and bread, start eliminating from the evening meal end, then afternoon snack, then lunch, morning tea, then breakfast.  I finally gave up my beloved porridge, and now have a protein brekky.  I.e. egg on turkey (or cheese) on avocado on s&l toast, with some tomato, some plain greek yoghurt, a little juice (prune), a little fruit.

You can cook as usual, but replace starchy veges with non starch veges, reduce the amount of flour used for thickening (add some fibre product instead), lots of other veges - you don't have to go hungry.

If you yearn for a pasta/rice experience (like I do), look for slendier slim rice and pasta (it is made from konjac root).  No protein, no carbs, just fibre really.

You will very soon rediscover your waist again.  Good luck.

• Posted

hi, is that right that I read in your discussion not to eat root veg? For a fatty liver that is? Because they are carbs maybe? But beetroot is ok? Even though that is a root veg? Gets complicated don't you think, but there's not much help out there is there? Xxx
    • Posted

Root veges are high in starch (sugar/carbs) and so is beetroot.  I make an exception for myself because it has a lot of other good qualities, including being good for the liver and skin.   I eliminated it for a long time until my waist returned and belly disappeared.  As I only eat starches now out of politeness e.g. when visiting, and never at home, I can get away with a little bit.

Lunch at work was a problem as everything is all about bread and pastry.  Taking my own meat and salad, or left overs was the best way to go.  Francis, a hot salad (i.e. cooked veges) might work better for you.  Some people believe that cold/raw is not good for us, and will microwave a raw salad for a short time.  Afterall, it was found that early mankind did not flourish and expand their brains until they started cooking their food.

Corn and peas are also high in starch, for surface vegetables.  I have a list of foods with their level of carbs/sugar from a book called "The Power of Protein" which is no longer in print.  I was able to compare.  There is probably something else out there giving a similar list.  When in doubt, just google the food and search for what it is made up of like lables on a packaged food, although you need a base number to compare with.

Google green beans for its carb level, say 100 gs, or 1/2 or 1 cup, your quantity needs to be consistent.  Then when you google something else, you can see how much higher or lower the carb level is.

Sugar/starch is now known to be the culprit for causing fatty liver.  When consumed more than what is used up in energy (i.e. chopping wood, running a marathon, etc), it stores as fat causing fatty liver.

Is that clearer?

• Posted

My doctor was the same way.  barely any advice.  I ended up googling a lot of the information. But have found some of it's very contradictory.  I call myself a self described Carb Wh**e.  I crave the breads, rices and pasta.  I sympathize with you in having to give it up...lol  I was pretty shocked to discover I had NAFLD.  I considered my diet to be quite healthy compared to others.  Where I live (Newfoundland, Canada) they love the salt.  I actually don't use that much and for the past 4 or 5 years I've cut using real sugar out of my diet.  Health care here isn't the best either.  Especially in the rural areas.  I've been having a hard time trying to find anything that doesn't cost a fortune.  Because we're an island all the food is shipped in.  If you google Fatty liver diet you can get some good recipies.

Good Luck

Sunni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.