What foods can you eat to increasse insulin production

Posted , 4 users are following.

Diabetes is a lack of insulin......the body makes insulin out of stuff the person eats. So which food contribute to insulin production?

I have diabetes type 2A...that is, i only suffer if i binge heavily on sugary foods...but sometimes, i eat sugary foods in excess and dont suffer my usual diabetes induced problem (lack of sleep)...i am convinced its because i have unwittingly eaten foods that contribute to insulin production.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I never heard of 2A - but it sounds kind of what I have. But it's not sugary foods, it's total carbs. EXCEPT if some of those carbs are "resistant carbs", like cold pasta the next day, you can look up more info on it.

But often type2 is not a shortage of insulin, it's much more complicated than that. "Insulin resistance" is typical, you may actually have an excess of insulin, it's just not working. And another factor is that your body's control system goes wacky, for various reasons, it just keeps pumping blood glucose when it shouldn't - and that's kind of what metformin directly addresses.

There are foods that help with type2 but it's not clear to me that we know of any that boost insulin. You might look into licorice, especially DGL licorice, that's a possible. Certainly cinnamon (Ceylon cinnamon if you're going to keep at it) helps type2, but probably not by boosting insulin, then again I'm not sure anybody knows, but I think it helps excrete sugar and possibly reduce insulin resistance.

Wish we did know a lot more about this.

Oh, green tea also, be sure to look into that.

• Posted

I also thought that I must have insufficient insulin production so I requested an insulin level test. It came out within the normal range. My doctor mentioned that type 2 is a condition where the pancreas can not keep up in high demand situations. That sounds reasonable.

Two things have helped me to get back in to a normal range on my A1C. Potassium. It is required for almost every body function and helps glucose get into cells so they can get energy and burn the glucose. Most table salt today has had the potassium removed so that created a situation where almost everyone is low on potassium. But, I found it hard to keep up the special diet to get the required 4700mg of potassium daily. I got tired of buying and drinking coconut water and making spinach bread. I bought some potassium chloride but I forget to take it on a daily basis. But it does help.

Exercise is really helpful. If you can do 10 minutes 4 times a day you will find that your numbers drop way down.

I also found that medications make my A1C go up. Cholesterol medication are notorious for this side effect. Many of the newer drugs list 'High blood sugar' as a side effect. So check your medications. Diabetes is no joke. it progresses and gets worse and then people end up with amputations late in life.

John

• Posted

John, interesting point about potassium. Though as long as a simple blood test comes back OK I haven't had any doctor mention it to me. A diet rich in dark leafy greens and fresh fruit, should be OK without supplements. Of course sea salt has more potassium. I do take some magnesium now and then, when I'm not eating almonds.

Yes, exercise is seriously helpful, it burns a little sugar directly and it helps relieve insulin resistance generally. Doctors way under-emphasize the importance of exercise for diabetes. Though a little too much exercise becomes a problem, can temporarily raise blood sugar. You can read about it for the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.