What foods to avoid and can eat with gallstones/inflamed gallbladder?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I've had terrific pain from this for days now. I've been in hospital and they have given me strong painkillers. The hospital are making arrangements for an MRI but I can't have the op until the inflammation has gone. In the mean time I'm struggling on what to eat. I had a fat free Christmas dinner and ended up in hospital again, they said it was likely sugar content?

What can I really eat and not eat? I'm not a great veg and fruit eater... help?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

For me most meats trigger me off and fried foods, McDonald's kills me I'm ok with eggs rice fish ,I think it depends on yourself you have to finger out what make you ill

• Posted

Yeah I'm staying well clear from any fast foods and take aways. I'm trying to eat more fresh foods. Just had revita cracker bread, chicken breast slices and tomato. So far seems OK but time will tell.

• Posted

Eat any legumes   (black beans, navy bean,chicken peas, any kind of bean)   through out ur day.  It helps u produce bile.  And helped with the pain.
  • Posted

Before i had my gall bladder removed ... under 3 weeks ago... I more or less lived on porridge or bran flakes for breakfast half milk half water. Dark rye rivita with hummous (thats a good fat in hummous) and 0%total a natural yogurt for tea. that was from sept to dec... I was a tad overweight so it also helped lose a few pounds 😊

But i got a phobia about eating as i was scared to eat because of the pain and nausea... So it is very important to keep trying things and everyone is different.

I didnt dare eat bread, potatoes, etc.

I hope everything settles down for you .. good luck

• Posted

So sorry you're suffering this.  Unfortunately, most "low fat" products have lots of sugar in them, especially high fructose corn syrup, which is in nearly everything on the markets' shelves.  So, make sure that what you buy and eat doesn't contain it.  It's very hard on your liver. You may be able to use plain sugar, just a tad, or honey.  Also try lactose free milk, grass fed butter, and organic grass fed beef. Most commercial foods also have a high salt content, so this could also have been what triggered your pain. 

Every person is different, as you can see from the replies you received.  Best of luck!  I hope you recover soon so that they can take out your gallbladder soon!  Let me know how you do!

• Posted

hi when i was waiting to have my gallbladder out  i was only able to eat steamed fish boiled rice and plain pasta. my body wouldn't tolerate anything else. now and again i managed a jacket potato with plain cottage cheese in. your body will let you know what to eat and not to eat. everyone is different. meat was a definate no no and for 6mths afyer i had my op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.