What happened/symptoms of when your kidneys crashed

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have known abut my ckd for over 7 years, ive been in stage 5 for a year, I have had the flu twice this year already and really feeling poorly, i feel so unwell, cant breath very well, spacey, more tired than normal and concentration is more difficult. I am terrified I wont know when my kidneys are actually crashing.. a month ago my kidneys were 10%

Is there any way ill know?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm not wishing to rock the boat for ANYONE and PD is a fantastic option and no fault to be found with it at all. I enjoyed a camaraderie and have formed very close friendships with people in my haemo ward when I attended. The social life is nothing short of fantastic also. Only my experience of having Haemo in Scotland and id advocate for it anytime. Just saying....😂. Wishing Janine and all others best of health

Stephen

• Posted

Stephen,

I am pleased to hear that you had a good experience with in-center HD dialysis. I agree that the support across patients and staff would be a real advantage for this treatment option.

Unfortunately, in my region of the United States it is only available during my working hours and so would very likely make it impossible for me to continue working. That's a major issue for me. But I may find that PD dialysis will not work for me. If that's the case I will find myself receiving in-center HD dialysis.

How long were you on HD before you received your transplant? How did your cardiac health fair while you were on HD dialysis? It sounds like you felt quite well while receiving HD dialysis. Was that true for most receiving HD dialysis in the clinic you attended?

In the United States there is clearly a concerted effort to encourage end stage renal patients to use PD dialysis. This is likely being driven at least in part based on money. However, as I've researched both PD and HD I find that I'm genuinely more interested in PD then HD. However, I'd really like to hear more about HD from those who have exoerienc d it.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Marj

To be honest I was fine on HD I did consider PD but given that I also have Chrons disease the choice was taken away from me. I had a fistula created in my right arm on November 2016 and started dialysis in January 2017 then at 02.30 in the morning of October 24th 2017 I got that magic call. I was transplanted on the morning of the 25th. By all accounts I was lucky but that's a fair indication of waiting times in the UK. My tissue and blood type were fairly unremarkable and so got a good match. My heart was always pretty good and soon after starting dialysis I found myself doing some light running swimming and cycling so it actually does give you bit of energy back. Once or twice I "crashed" during haemo which when it happens the first time isn't very nice but once you come round and get the oxygen mask on you're fine. I've never really fainted before so it was especially distressing for me. The odd occasion after that you become more aware of what's happening and dare I say blazè about the whole thing but in all honesty as I said the laughs we shared in the ward was very memorable and I used to get my fair share of roastings every time I crashed but patients were always looking out for each other.

Hope this helps somewhat Marj and wish you very well

Stephen

• Posted

You can't breathe because you are retaining alot of fluid in your body. And it is a reason why you feel unwell.

That is what I experience whenever I drink any liquid more than 4 cups of liquid per day (US standards ), but I am also on dialysis. Water, fruit, ice cream, tea, carbonated drinks, fruit drinks are considered liquids. Do not drink any. sports drinks unless you want to make your condition worse.

Has your doctor given you lasix, which will remove some liquid out of your body but you will also urinate alot.

I am not a doctor.

I was diagnosed with 2 genetic kidney disorders, minimal change disorder and FSGS, focal segmental glomerosclerosis.

Has your doctor determined the cause if your kidney malfunction.

After dialysis, I can breathe better.

Most people try to avoid going through dialysis, it is personal choice.

Even though I am

• Posted

My Kidneys have shrunk and are very scarred, dr said he reckoned I have had bad kidneys for a long time but only found out when I was pregnant. Its awful being at this stage for so long with no dialysis
  • Posted

One reason. why you feel unwell and cannot breathe is that your body may be retaining alot of liquid. Liquids, include fruit, fruit drinks, water, melons, ice cream, gelatin, and water.

Avoid all sports drinks, they contain too many harmful ingredients for stage 1 to 5.

If I drink milk or water over 4 cups, (US standards ) I sometimes cannot breathe properly. So after my dialysis treatment, my breathing is better.

Lasix can help remove water from your body, but it increases urine output. My doctors took me off of lasix once I started on dialysis.

I am not a doctor.

Dialysis is a personal choice.

The are different types of dialysis

I chose to go to a dialysis center, haemodialysis or hemodialysis, the spelling is different in the UK and the US.

Although I cannot get a kidney transplant because I have a circulation problem, dialysis has saved my life. In 1989, I was diagnosed with 2 genetic kidney disorders. (Minimal change disorder and focal segmental glomerosclerosis ).

I hope you will ask a nephrologist(kidney doctor)

for help, to reduce your symptoms

Good Luck

John

• Posted

I advise you to get in touch with your renal consultant straight away.  Phone the hospital and ask for his secretary.  If necessary, leave a message asking him/her to call you back.  My consultant will always do this if I am worried about something and I my kidney function is not as advanced as yours. Some people need to go on dialysis earlier than others.  It is not an exact science- more about how you and your body feel.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Janine . I'm not as bad as you yet . my gfr is 24. I have a great deal of empathy for you. I have managed to keep my gfr fairly stable for the last two years by insisting that my bp high reading be under 130 .(Its not hard for the gp to lift your dose of bp tablets) . I also take high anti ox

idants 600mg of Alpha lipoic acid . 1000mg if vitamin C. I also have found Salvia 1020mg twice a day. I take the

pills with a cup of ginger tea. I am no

alternative medicine addict but the above seems to have held it at bay .I have glomerulonephritis.Sincerely

Janine I wish you to try to wiil yourself

to stay as well as you can

• Posted

Hi Janine, 

When my truck sounds funny or feels off, I take it in to the Garage. I don't feel I am wasting their time since they are getting paid to check my truck. In the same manner I don't feel I am wasting any Drs time since they are also being paid to check me. They don't treat you out of the kindness of their heart, they WORK for you. Please listen to everyone on here trying to warn you, they do know what they are talking about. Go to the Emergency Room and explain how you feel, don't try and be your own Dr. Let them check you and treat you, that's what you pay them to do. Before it's too late. Please give us an update after you get home. I'll be praying for you.

• Posted

Thanks Fran xx I know hun I'm going to have my bloods done this morning so I will let u know my results in the morning, I had a bad experience at my hospital, went to hospital because I had diarrhea was fever like and headaches n the renal team was funny with me and asked me why I was there when I didn't have a appointment n said you're more than likely just dehydrated , it was the way it was said I felt like a 5 yr old being told off in front of other patients

• Posted

I feel for you Janice. I've been between 9-10% since 10th may last year.

I have fortnightly blood test and a pd catheter fitted (although it doesn't work, another story for another day)

I said to the girls I the renal unit that I felt like a fraud as my bloods weren't changing. They also side they could change one week to the next.

The symptoms are the same as mine. My issue is I work 60 hours a week and ha e no energy for my you family.

• Posted

Bryan, 

I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about patient experiences with PD dialysis. Would you be willing to share some about your PD catheter situation? Why isn't it working? Do they plan to fix it? If so, hiw? If not, why not? 

And anything else you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, marj

• Posted

SO relieved to hear you are having labs done. I once went in to ER and was treated like I had no problem, acting like they thought I was just looking for drugs. I then went to a different hospital ER and they admitted me, kept me for a week! I was told I almost died of renal failure. Trust your gut and don't let any one make light of a situation, it could be fatal. Thanks so much for getting back with me, I feel better now, smile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.