What happened with my kidney stone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Might be a strange title but I didn't think of another.

2 weeks ago I experienced pains in my lower left and did an ultrasound. The doctor found 3 kidney stones at about 3 mm diameter, one of which was on my ureter. I received a prescription for passing the stones. Algifen, No-spa, ketonal - all injectable, uriprev and Norflox. I have followed the treatment but the stones didn't passed (or at least I don't think so).

The thing is that for a few days I have experienced pain and discomfort due to the buildup of urine and in the last days the pain is gone. Now, i experience a little discomfort like the stone is still there and at times not at all. I don't think that I have pased the stone. The doctor told me that it will hurt, and to be prepared (for the pain), or at least I must of heard a sound in the closet smile.

My puzzle is this: now should I go back to the doctor? Even if I have passed one stone (which I didn't) the other 2 are still there. How do I get rid of them? How fast do they grow?

Another fear of mine: I read on wikipedia that kidney atrophy may occur in such cases and I fear not to lose the kidney? But is possible to lose a kidney without experiencing extreme pain prior?

I don't have medical knowledge but is possible that the antibodies attacked the stone as an foreign body and shrinked?

Info: This is the first time for me, with the kidney stone, and I don't know which type they are, chemical composition.

I don't and didn't experienced other symptoms like: nausea and vomiting.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a 9 mm stone found about 4 months ago which they told me was possibly too big to pass. This caused nausea, vomiting and some blood to be passed. Initially, they gave me painkillers, the best of which was rectal dyclofenac.

I eventually went for ECSW treatment (Lithotripsy) which was going well but wasn't good enough to fix it in one go, so a second dose of lithotripsy was prescribed.

The first dose was about 5 weeks ago.

Since the lithotripsy, I've been drinking lots of water and have been adding PLJ (lemon juice) to it. Some places on the web advise to drink a full glass of squeezed lemon juice to dissolve calcium but I wasn't sure if this was reliable advice but hey-ho it might have some truth in it.

On re-visiting hospital for the second batch of lithotripsy, they could find no trace of the stone and they sent me home not needing any treatment.

This surprised and delighted me but left me baffled as to why such a large stone had disappeared. Maybe the PLJ did the trick. Maybe the first batch of treatment worked better than they thought it had. I did have a couple of batches of pain since the treatment so something was definitely stil there, but they now say that it's gone. I never spotted a stone passing.

There are 4 types of stone - calcium, uric acid, struvite and cystine. 80% are calcium which is the stuff that some say can be dissolved by lemon juice. I am not saying that lemon juice is what did the trick for me but it's a cheap way of trying to dissolve a stone and might work for anyone.

Get your doctor's advice and don't rely on the above - it's just my interpretation and theory.

Good luck.

• Posted

I was just blessed a little over a month ago with a 4mm stone i was at work and had this terrible.back pain but yet at the same time lower abdominal and side Pain so my frugal butt went to convient care which threw 4 days worth of flomax and some Pain killers at me and said.go.to this radiologist so I did he did an MRI or something like that it was a huge machine...So convient care gets the results in about an hr and has me come down and get a screen to catch the stone when it passes so they can test what it is made up of and what changes need to be made in my diet so I pee through this funnel with a screen at the end for about 4-5 days nothing... Granted I was scared to death a rock coming out of your pee hole oh hell no ...But nothing came I upped my water intake and try and drink lemon juice when possible it's a little butter for my liking but I can tolerate it. I guess the lemons dissolve stones kinda neat . But I got a feeling the stone is still there I have this dull to sharp pain every now and then...Just don't let yourself get dehydrated keep pounding the h20 and lemon juice or lemonade whateva

• Posted

This sounds just like me. Had the pain for about a week before I finally went to ER and that was Monday the 16th. They said 4 mm stone and it was almost to my bladder. They said no need for urologist and just to go home take flomax and drink water and it would pass within a few days. Here we are Thursday and still nothing. I'm not in much pain anymore I just have a constant urge to urinate that is driving me crazy. I'm tempted to just go back and get the surgery done to take it out but I heard that can be awful. How did it work out for you? Did u eventually pass it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.