What happens after the aircast boot comes off?

Posted , 7 users are following.

4.5 weeks ago I split the bone in my fibula by fainting (distal fibula fracture) - I had one week with a cast, then got an air cast boot for 5 weeks. I walk on it now with one crutch and it's due to be tel

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So an update for anyone following this thread...

Went for my 6 week check-up today.. had it x-rayed and the bone is healing well, its tissue damage causing any pain.  The doc has advised me to now walk without the boot and crutches and eventually the ankle will get stronger.  I asked about fitness classes, exercise etc and he basically just said no running for 6 weeks but said i can go to spin which i thought was weird... he wasnt very nice so im not sure that i trust whats hes saying lol!

Hes also referred me for physio.  So all went well but now tomorrow ill be commuting into work - 10 min walk and 2 tubes without a boot and crutches which kinda terrifies me!

Hope everyones recovery is going well.

• Posted

You had a great check-up - all good news! Congrats!!!

I think the go ahead on the spinning class is because you can control it and only do what you are comfortable with (so you can use less resistance, stay on the seat, etc) whereas with running there is all that pounding so it makes sense that you want to be fully healed before you progress to running or any high intensity (from a full weight bearing perspective) class. 

Good news on the physio too as your PT can help you get back to running and the other fitness classes that you enjoy. He or she will know when it will be safe for you to return to those.

It sounds like your commute is a ton of exercise already... yikes! Let us know how that goes smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.