What happens at pre-assessment ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've got an appointment to see a pre-assessment nurse even though I've not yet got a date for my colonoscopy.  What happens at this pre-assessment ?  I am in the UK

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi don't worry all they do is take blood sample .. weigh and check your height maybe ask a few medical questions on your health etc....

• Posted

Usually to fill in a health form, I,e drs, next of kin any medications, allergies etc and to check blood pressure 
  • Posted

Many thanks for the quick replies. Wonder if it's Trust dependent what happens ?  Carol..what blood test do they do ?

• Posted

Not too sure it's just a routine blood test .. check blood count ..liver and kidneys

• Posted

Ha ha...well that was a bit of a non-event.  Checked details such as my wife's name, address and contact telephone numbers.  Bit daft really seeing as how their automated reminder service has been calling me on them ! 

Asked me if I'd had any operations - none.  Any medication - none.. Did I know my height?  6ft.  Did I know my weight.  No.  But no scales so there you go!  Went through the bowel prep.  Sedation or Entonox, Sir?  That was it.  No appointment yet as I'm way down the pecking order which is fair enough.

Fabulous hospital, all the same. 

• Posted

Hi good plsed to hear it was a none event was nothing to worry about I probably got blood test as I was passing blood ?

Go for the sedation as the etonox is still there for you to use .

Good luck hope everything works out ok do update us plse x

• Posted

If you have sedation, you will need someone to collect you and stay with you for 24 hours.  Most people have the procedure no problem - just a bit uncomfortable - but I would advise sedation in case you are one of those whose medical condition does cause the procedure to be painful, and there's no way of knowing in advance.  Turns out I had diverticula right on the bend in my bowel, which did cause pain, and they could not proceed.  I had a CT scan instead - no problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.