What happens next. Son with probable Cushings.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My son is now 29, we have suspected he has Cushings since he was 8. Unexpected weight gain, but only around his torso and on his face, he now weighs more that 330lb 23 stone (our scales only go that high), he has the buffalo hump, the red stretch marks and the temper. He had a blood test done 8 or so years ago in the morning which we were told showed in range. Knowing what I know now about 'in range' I should have asked for the copy of the results. Up to date knowledge now says that the morning blood test is useless, that it should be an evening one.

Well what has happened was that being Hypothyroid myself and having to self test and self treat (those 'in range' criterior) I knew how to get my sons 4 point adrenal saliva test done privately, I was mainly testing him to try and find out why he wasn't sleeping. Wired and tired all the time. The results came back, it took a couple of weeks to figure out what was nagging me, it was his daily cortisol level, it was way too high, well out of range. So I've gone to the doctors with the results, the doc said she would refer him to an Endo based on the results. A letter came today saying they had to do the usual thyroid, diabetes, liver function, prolactin etc tests before he can be  reffered to an endo.

We have researched this loads in the past, and understand in a fairly well edicated way what is going to happen. My main question now is, how long is this going to take? Are we talking weeks (not likely with the NHS), Months, years? Is there a ballpark figure in the UK? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

all they need is a day curve blood test where they take blood from him 5 times during the day and that should be a good indicator where he stands , probably get seen in about 8 weeks
  • Posted

Hi Mum of A, I can only respond with my experience of cushing's. I am not a doctor. Any everyone has different experiences smile

Firstly. I dont understand why they have to do all the tests before he see's the Endocrinologist as thats exactly what the endo will do when they see him. They do Baseline tests to get their own results.

Secondly. It takes months of testing to get a solid diagnosis for cushings.

I had a 24 hr urine, Morning cortisol and midnight saliva test first. The results then sent me to do an overnight dexamethazone suppression test. They then waited one month and i repeated all these tests again. Same again the next month. After the third month i was sent for an MRI pituitary. These results then sent me for a more invasive test called an Inferior Petrosal Sinus Test. Two weeks after that i saw a Neurology surgeon. And 4 weeks later i had my pituitary gland removed ( note my surgeon had two weeks holidays in the 4 weeks between my visit and surgery lol ).

So from first visit to the endocrinologist til the time of surgery.... Was a total of 6 months.

I hope thats helpful info for you. If after all the testing they find he has pituitary involvment, i can share my surgery info with you so he knows what to expect smile

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I had all my tests done by my GP before I saw my new endo having had an initial tentative dignosis from my old Endo who after seeing me emigrated to Australia!  As you say all our experiences are different.  I have to say that through it all it has been my GP who has been the most help and support through the months after my op.  Lets hope that Mom gets a dignosis soon.

• Posted

Hi,  It is the diagnosis that really takes the time.  You really have to patient, get your son to do all the tests.  Once all those are through you shouldn't have to wait that long for the appointment with the Endocrinologist.  To be honest, they need the results of every test before they can do anything.  He may be offered an MRI to see if there is a tumour on the Pituitary Gland.  Be patient, they are not holding you up deliberately.  Let us know how your son progresses.  You must be worried too but need to keep calm.  You can always rant and rave at us! I hope some others in the group will answer you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.