What happens to your hormones post op?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies not seen anything on here about what happens to our hormones post op. Having one or both ovaries out later this week, if I have both out, do I go straight to menopause - in other words do I go crazy!!!  What help, advice is out there.

Also what happens to your sex drive - how soon after op can you have sex and do you ever want it again - lol.

Ladies I await your advice and comments

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i had one ovary removed & noticed no difference at all, still have regular periods etc, must admit i was surprised as i thought it would upset my system as such. Think my gynae advised waiting 6 weeks before sex & too be honest not noticed a difference in libido either (maybe i was already grumpy & off sex, best ask the other half!) i believe that you would have an instant menopause if you have both removed as your ovaries produce the oestrogen that our bodies need. Hope this helps, good luck with the op x
    • Posted

Thanks Tracy.  I am 50 so no much libido any way - according to my husband that is !!

• Posted

Aren't they all the same! Good luck for the op, love to know how it goes x
  • Posted

Hi, yes I was told I may have one ovary removed, but if you have both removed you do go into the menopause. In the UK they will give you hormone replacement up to age 50, they said. Why do they say you may have both out?
    • Posted

They think my cysts are caused my endometriosis Jayne.  MRI showed very small cysts on the one which they told me could be left, only thing is I am having same amount of pain on both ovaries so they said they would take a look and decide during op. Obviously I would prefer to keep one!
    • Posted

Oh, well sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed you get to keep one.
  • Posted

Hi there, I'm due to have a cyst and ovary removed in the next few weeks. My consultant said that having one ovary removed would not affect my hormones overly and that I should continue on with my cycle relatively normally. She did specifically say that removing both would throw my body into early menopause. And that's why they try and avoid it if at all possible. 

Couldn't tell ya about the libido side of it, I never even thought to ask! Good luck to you! 

• Posted

I wanted both ovaries removed but due to only being 33 the surgeon said he would only do that if absolutely necessary.  So only one was removed. I was told that everyone is different, some women have no changes but some do.  I think it can temporarily upset your cycle. I have pcos and have never had regular cycles, or normal hormones lol. I'm 3 weeks post op and the only change I've experienced was that for the first week I felt incredibly horny lol
  • Posted

Hi kellers i had everythink temoved and within a week i was straight in to menapause hot flushes are awfull not sure about sex bit yet x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.