What happens when I reduce or cut out my mirtazapine?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was just wondering if anybody could share their experiences of whithdrawing from mirtazapine whilst staying on other meds like lithium or prothiaden. I have heard of people posting their experiences of withdrawal from another anti depressant to go onto mirtazapine but not the other way around. I am feeling a lot better but at the moment feel a bit over medicated. I still have some symptoms of depression such as the paranoia and low self esteem. However my sleep patterns are almost normal depite still havin g nightmares occasionally. My thinking is sometimes confused and I tire easilyand dont cope well if I have too much to do. My GP said last week that I needed to be on all this medication. I'm not sure. I'll be scared that all the old symptoms would return as if they are just lurking around the corner. In my mind I can still see them but someone has put a gagging order on them! I see my psychiatrist next week and I'll see what he wants me to do.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi pooh bear, i am not on lithium or prothiadon, only sertraline, and i was on mirtazapine. After having bad side effects when my mirtazapine was increased i was advised to stop taking it. I didn't have any withdrawal side effects except i found it harder to stay asleep for a week or so. After that i was fine. However i have tried to reduce the sertraline slowly and have felt my depression and anxiety come back so i am back to my normal dosage 50mg again! I guess every one is different and may experience some sort of withdrawal effect but luckily i didn't.. smile hope all goes well if you decide to come off mirtazapine i know the best way to do it is to taper off but this wasn't an option for me. Good luck..x also i dropped a stone in weight after stopping mirtazapine! no more binge eating!! x :wink:
  • Posted

Hi Charlies Girl thanks for replying. I suppose I fear my depression returning and having to go onto even more drugs. I have chance to chat with my psychiatrist on Thursday but my guess is that it is far too early days to reduce the drugs. It seems fairly easy in retrospect going onto the drugs and far more difficult to come off them again. I tried to be weaned off prothiaden onto seroxat I think. I couldn't do it and had to stay on prothiaden. I would like to cut down the prothiaden as that has a more sedative effect or cut the mirtazapine out altogether. We shall see. I'll post when I know what is going on.
  • Posted

I have returned from a visit to my psychiatrist today and although he agrees with me that I am a lot better he will not reduce my meds at the moment. I'm still feeling very tired although I know he is right maybe I just haven't been well for long enough. I have been on mirtazapine since the end of September so nearly six months. He did actually admit that mirtazapine can cause vivid dreams as I had told him of one that I have that keeps recurring. It is very nasty. He did something really odd as I was leaving I stood up to leave and I thought that he was going to shake my hand but no he just stared at me so I stared back. Very odd I didn't know what to make of that!
  • Posted

Poo bear, i agree with your psychiatrist, if you are doing OK why rock the boat!. when i thought i was doing better, after a year of being on them i tried to reduce my meds i thought that it was time to try and come off the sertraline so reduced dosage slowly. At first i was OK, but slowly i started to feel bad again, since then I'm back on the dose i started on. Have improved but not to where i want to be.. :cry: Seeing psychiatrist on 31st so will tell her and see what is suggested. Take care.x smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.