What happens when the consultant & physio abandons you at 6 weeks?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all! It's me, Glenda, now 6 weeks and yesterday consultant said he didn't want to see me for a year and my last physio appointment is tomorrow! Consultant happy that I almost have a 90' bend and can sit in a chair, but the physio warned me of this and said I need more sessions to bend my knee much further and he'd negotiate more physio sessions with the Consultant but that's now clearly not going to happen unless I pay for private. I feel a bit abandoned and worried about how I'll progress from now on. Did this happen to all of you folks out there please and do you now just get on with it yourselves?

Many thanks!biggrin

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Glenda, I've been very lucky. I'm 19 weeks post op now and am still having physio on th NHS at the hospital. Isn't it wrong how things vary across the UK? I'm in Wales - not always regarded as the best for NHS care - but I can't complain at all. They continued with me because I had this pain at the back of the leg so I was referred from the knee class to some individual sessions. Talk to your physio again and see if you can get more sessions. If not, ask which exercises you should concentrate on. After all it's the actual exercises that will help to improve your bend which you can do on your own at home. Good luck. Jen 
    • Posted

Hi Jen! I think that I'll have to pay for a few more sessions ( a Christmas presentrolleyesto myself!) The physio seems genuinely interested in getting my knee fully functioning again & so I think he'll give me some handouts to help me, but to be honest, this forum & my weekly physio have kept me going, knowing that I can ask questions etc. Thank goodness I've found you all as it's wonderful having the support of other folks in the "TKR boat"!
  • Posted

In the UK contact NHS Choice on line make a review. Contact your GP Contact safeguarding of the county you live in. Write to the Chief executive of the hospital. I had my op at a private hospital under NHS and dont pay.

Im 9 weeks. I dont see the consultant again until February but Im happy with that. If I think I need physio I contact her to make arrangements

• Posted

Thanks for the info. It's really strange how the NHS services vary so much across the country, you'd have thought that there would be a standardised package for certain operations such as TKRs.

• Posted

As a nurse who worked on orthopaedic wards I can tell you even consultants in the same unit do things their way. 
  • Posted

Hi Glenda - l was like everyone here - had physio for 4 weeks and then left to my own devices.  Kept carrying on with the muscle strengthening exercises and bending as best I could -  using oil and massage to help.  I've also bought a small cyle machine which I wish I had bought earlier, but didn't know they exiisted!  I still try and use that 3/4 times a week - I am now 6 months post op.  I think walking as well is one of the best exercises to do.  I do still have days which are stiffer than others - affected by the weather as well.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying. I was down to using one stick for walking, but the consultant said to get rid of that too. Although I can walk without sticks I find myself hobbling if I don't concentrate and I'm not going to risk walking too far without them in my bag just in case I can't get back to my car or home!( they fold up which is handy).
  • Posted

Hi Glenda . I had a bend of 97the next morning from my op. first pysio it was 107,2nd two weeks later was 130. He discharged me and said keep doing excersises at home which I did. Iam 16weeks, my walking is good and I haven't used any aids since 2weeks post op, I have also only had paracetomal as pain relief. We all heal at different rates. My knee is still painful, hot and swollen but it is now bearable. The emotional side of the op hit me very hard, and I am still not feeling 100per cent.  I would suggest you just do your excersies at home for a while and see how you get on. The knee will get there in its own time wish you all the best .
    • Posted

Thanks Tucks! Your progress sounds like my Father's! He was in his mid 70's and took one lot of painkillers and 3/4 weeks after his operation he was back to normal- no swelling, able to pedal a bike etc! I'm 57 and seem to be the complete opposite, but as you said, every one heals at different rates! (By the way, my Father went on to have a second TKR, two hip replacements and in January this year, at 80, an ankle replacement and he's fine!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.