What happens when you stop taking orlistat?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi folks. I have lost a large amount of weight. Blood sugar good, blood pressure amazing, jeans back on. I still have a way to go, and I hope I will do that. I can put on weight with very little effort though and I worry that when I stop taking orlistat my weight will rocket back up. I know to eat sensibly and excercise - really I do, my doctor mentions this quite a lot. I wonder though if any of you have experience of life after orlistat and how difficult it is going to be.

Thanks for reading this.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've been off them 6-7 months now! I do have days of being bad and do slip back into old habits as I know there's no side effects! But do get back on track as I don't want to undo all that hard work!

I seem to go up and down the same 1/2 stone! 

I'm sure u will be fine, I just get my size 20 jeans out every now and again and think I never wanna be this size again!! Good luck. 

• Posted

hi Brois 

im on my second month and lost about a stone so far altho i seem to have stopped loosing the weight but seem to have a lot a bit more size as i measure myself. did you find that you were like this too? or was your weight loss steady and consistant

• Posted

Many thanks to both FatFairy and Turvell for your replies.

Turvell: my initial weight loss was dramatic, but only dropped 2-3 pounds over last 2 weeks. The nurse who does my weigh in was a bit grumpy about this and accused me of eating more fat - but I have not been doing that. It does seem to vary quite a bit, and for no apparent reason. Hang in there, I think we are the right path!

• Posted

i really hope so. this is the hardest thing i ever did. it even makes giving up smoking feel easy. with this i just seem to go nowhere now. so weird no matter what i do i can get past 17 stone anymore. 3 years ago i lost 18 stone just like that and dropped to 13 stone. i out it all on again but this time i can only get to 17 sad i despair
    • Posted

Dude! Did you say you lost 18 stone! Repect to you.

I eat low sugar and low carb anyway - 'cos it helps with my diabetes. Dropping fat down has helped a lot - with the weight loss - but it does not help with my state of mind. I too despair, but apparently low fat diet can do that. I have only dropped about 3 stone on this journey (down to 15st 5) but had started telling myself that it was all useless because as soon as I relaxed my diet I would blow up again. I think I feel a bit more reassured that this will not happen. But you are right - it is a long hard path. Good luck to you.

• Posted

no ive not lost 18 stone then i lost it and went down to 13 stone, then i gave up fags and put the weight back on again. back to 18 stone. been trying to loose it for 12 months, but i could only get to 17 stone. so went to docs he gave me these and still can only loose a stone and get back to 18. last time i lost it in 6 months jsut from cutting out sweets etc. this time im a saint with loads of runiing etc but still cant get past 17 not even go up tho either just 17 not matter what. weird huh
  • Posted

Hi BigBoris,

Nothing 'happens' but just continue to eat as you would have done on the tablets. Your weight may slighlt go up but it's not like a stone or anything.

You need to have willpower after finishing the tablets becausse if you go back to eating how you did before you started the tablets you will just pile and some more weight on. Those foods really are not worth it at all.

Well done on your wl so far and good luck

Britney

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.