What happens when your blacked out drunk

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok so I am currently 20 years old and am not am alcoholic and only drink on social occasions, but recently I have been having look at my moral compass and have been feeling guilty about nights where i have been blacked out drunk and normally I would just brush past it but recently, my mind has been racing and I’m thinking of the worst possible outcomes like if I hurt anyone or even lien sexually assaulted anyone. When sober in would never do such a thing and would genuinely never want to hurt or make anyone feel uncomfortable in anyway, but when blacked out drunk I don’t know what happens?! And my friend did say once when I got blacked out drunk that I was very touchy feeley with her which is completely out of my character and I obviously apologies to her, but again just recently I have been feeling very guilty just largely based on the ‘what ifs’ if i harmed anyone in anyway when I’m blacks out drunk? Again I’m never one to want to cause anyone any harm in any way and I haven’t heard of any news of anything serious happening after a night out there I’m blacked out drunk, other than the time when I was a bit touchy feeley with my friend, but my mind is just racing to what potentially i could have done when In a state of blacked out drunk, AGAIN lastly, I think I’ve done nothing but my mind  is racing and I’m thinking of the worst possible outcomes, I’m largely assuming I’ve done nothing wrong because i haven’t heard any news from when I’ve been blacked out and also I’m assuming my very basic morals will remain when blacked out drunk preventing me from causing anyone harm , but any advice or help would be greatly appreciated thanks 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try not to drink so much that you black out. That way you won’t have any worries.

If you only drink on social occasions, just limit the amount you have. How much are you actually drinking to get in that condition?

• Posted

Hi yeah that is helpful advice thanks, and I mean it’s only happend to me on I would say three occasions, all when me and my friends go clubbing, on all the occasions though I’ve never meant to get in such a state, as just before it has happend I tend to be feeling fine, but I have now learnt my limits when drinking alcohol, it’s just i am worried if I have harmed or upset anyone along the way, and again I am almost certain I have not as it just isn’t like me to do such a thing, but it’s just the fact of not knowing which has worried me is all and that’s when my mind starts racing, but yeah i have now learnt how much I can handle, thanks for the advicesmile
    • Posted

Yes, you likely did do some odd stuff and put some folks off, but it was't you per se. You're operating from different parts of your brain when blacked out. You've probably heard of or see others in such a condition. Look up the Ambien Walrus, it's rather like that. Alcohol kind of anesthetizes the part of your brain that you rely on to keep yourself in check and once that's gone, you keep drinking till your brain can't even remember what you've done. 

A good rule of thumb goes something like "Never more than two, never two days in a row.". 

That being said, keep an eye on the line where you go from having a couple to being "off to the races" so to speak. Stay behind that line and if you do find you cross it on an increasing basis and can't seem to stop, look up Naltrexone or Nalmefene, they can help people avoid blackout drinking. The Sinclair Method uses either of those to help people feel satisfied with less to drink and used for a long enough period, will make you indifferent to alcohol, rather like you were before you started drinking much. All you have to do is to take it an hour before your first drink of the day. 

But if you can simply lay down a rule for yourself and stick to it, so much the better. It's especially important to do that if alcohol abuse runs in the family. 

• Posted

Try not to drink so much that you black out. That way you won’t have any worries.

If you only drink on social occasions, just limit the amount you have. How much are you actually drinking to get in that condition? How often is this happening?

• Posted

I agree with vickylou. Try to stop and you will no longer feel guilty o r embarrassed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.